Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper QuadraJet Idle Issues

Default Sniper QuadraJet Idle Issues

Hello all. I'm currently working on an '86 Monte Carlo with a 350 blueprint crate engine, QuadraJet Sniper kit, Aeromotive regulator, Holley tank and pump system. I've been fighting some idle issues with the car. Long story short, on cold start the car occasionally spits through the throttle body and dies, especially in gear with the A/C on. I have the IAC Kick up wired in and it works properly. Warm idle seems to be a lot more stable. When put into gear and the car is not fully warmed up, the car lugs and the idle drops down significantly inducing the spit and die. At times it seems as if the IAC is not responding at all. I'm wondering if I'm getting some electrical interference so I have included a few data and the current tune. I've played with the IAC settings as well as the Learn Parameters and Base Fuel Table. When the idle drops, so does manifold vacuum and the WBO2 reads lean, adding fuel to the Base Fuel Table in this area only helps to an extent, but makes the idle surge more prominent. Also, currently at idle, the ECU states it is Learning, but no values are updated in the Learn Table as well as displayed as the Current Learn value. Thanks in advance for any help that I can get! I'm so close to just putting a double pumper on this car and sending it down the highway.
    Tapeh.zip

The reason it's not making changes to the Learn Table is because the Closed Loop Compensation Limits for the RPM and pressure range are at 0. I suggest leaving the CL Compensation limits at 50 from the initial tune. This will allow any major adjustments and over time as it Learns you can lower those values.

You can either reset those tables or start with a new tune. You also have Enable Minimum Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop at 145°F. Any temperature below that will pull from the Base Fuel Table and will cause all sorts of issues since the Learn Table has not been populated with adjustments.

Okay thank you. I was under the assumption that the Learn and Closed Loop Limits were separate and did not affect each other. I've started from the mild cam base calibration as well as the stock cam base calibration with no luck on either. I'll start once again and see where it goes from there. I left the limits from the base calibration and let the car Learn for about 100 miles then changed them. I put it at zero in the idle area because the Closed Loop adjustments were causing the surge to get worse. The main thing I wanted another set of eyes on was the datalog. It looks as if some of the datalogged parameters had some noise, but I could not tell if this was normal or not.

Let it Learn and datalog while you can. I want to see what CL Compensations it's making to better understand what's going on.

tapeh2.zip Here's a DL from just now. Letting the car idle and Learn on the base street/strip cam file. It's a blueprint 350, so not radical, but not quite a "stock" cam per se.

Quote Originally Posted by HoTuned View Post
    I was under the assumption that the Learn and Closed Loop Limits were separate and did not affect each other.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

I understand the point of having Closed Loop vs Learned Limits and when to adjust the Limits. However, I did not think that setting Closed Loop to zero would also disable Learning. Thank you for that informative link though, I will follow it closely.

Then read that entire LINK. Learning can't happen in Open Loop.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Ah, I missed that. Thank you.

You're welcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast