Thread: Was able to fix my touchscreen!

Default Was able to fix my touchscreen!

Hey All, in case it helps anyone. My Sniper is out of warranty and my touch pad stopped working correctly. It was displaying correctly, but was acting like I was holding down a button the whole time, making it impossible to navigate and select items in the menus. I figured I'd be buying a new one, so had nothing to loose taking it apart to look for a loose wire or some other problem.

I VERY carefully pried the plastic cover apart and off. The fragile screen and circuit board are within a 1/4", or less, of the perimeter of the case. You have to be extremely careful cutting/prying it apart. Could not see any obvious problems, other than a screen that was somewhat dirty/dusty around the edges. It appears there's a thin membrane over the LCD display and thought that might be misbehaving somehow.

I very carefully wiped down the the screen, especially around the edges which are not exposed while the cover is on, with alcohol on a soft cloth. Plugged it back into the car before reinstalling the plastic cover, and it seemed to be working correctly. I reinstalled the plastic cover and reconnected the 2 halves by very carefully using a few tiny dots of super glue, knowing that if it migrated to the touch-screen I'd be out of luck and whipping out the credit card. All back together and working like new! Just thought I'd share in case it can save someone $250 on a new touchscreen.

I DID NOT try cleaning the screen with alcohol before disassembling, because it looked to be fairly clean. But if I was to redo this I would obviously clean the screen first, before dissembling. If that didn't do the trick, I would then remove the plastic case for a more thorough cleaning. Just posting up in case it helps someone in the future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	9168 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	9169

Good job fixing it!
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks Danny. Also, someone else mentioned that it might have been possible to fix mine by wiping it with an anti-static cloth. So definitely try that first, before diving in with both feet like I did!