Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission In Limp Mode

See page 4: https://documents.holley.com/techlib...140updates.zip (Holley EFI Updates for V5 Build 140)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Compared transmission plug to Holley harness, everything looks good. I'm at a loss for words here.

I noticed MPH is not showing in the Toggle Gauge Panel. I imagine that could be a big clue. Any ideas of where to look first?

VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

As much as I don't want to admit it, it appears I had the case connector upside down. Pretty weird considering it only fits one way. Upon further inspection, the case side is cracked. So now I have 1st, but won't shift. Hopefully I can figure that out sooner than later.

I did some testing, I had no MPH in the Toggle Gauge Panel. I replaced the VSS at the transmission and still no MPH. I checked input speed and it appears to be working. I verified that the TISS TOSS connectors were installed properly. Funny thing here is, the Holley is not commanding the shift (due to no MPH I'm thinking), but at WOT, I get second. It will stay in second until I slow down. After I let off, but didn't try for third. Any thoughts on that one?

Default Troubleshooting VSS Circuit

I have a 4L80E transmission being controlled by the Dominator. I have no shift unless it's at WOT, since WOT uses TPS I assume. MPH does NOT show up on the Toggle Panel. I do get Turbine Speed. I Ohms tested the VSS that was in there already and got 140. I bought a new one which tested the same. I installed it and tested it from the P4 harness connector at the ECU. I got 140 Ohms. I tested the connector at the transmission with P4 plugged in and key on and verified ground. I have nothing coming from the other wire though and I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the first place. Anyone have a good way to figure this out?

OK, I got this figured out. People with 4L80E transmissions should probably know this. My 4L80E was from a 1995 Chevy 2500. In '95, they were OBDI and the output speed sensor on the transmission did not have a reluctor wheel inside. This will create no pulse for an AC signal as required. I'm not sure how it worked or even if there was a real sensor in there when I got it, but the fix is to splice into the VSS from the transfer case. I assume 99% of people are running later 4L80E models so this would be irrelevant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12