Thread: TKO Transmission & VSS

Default TKO Transmission & VSS

Guys, I've been reading quite a bit on this forum and learning a lot. I'm building a SBC (non LSx) and we're planning to go MPFI using the HP EFI. I'll be installing a TKO 5-speed and I see it has a VSS connection on it. From the reading I'm doing it does not look like the HP is compatible with that VSS (it only has two wires). Can someone please confirm that? I was hoping to use it to monitor wheel spin and use it for a speedometer if I install a Holley dash later. Are there any alternatives that I can use that will work with the HP? Thanks, Mike

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks Danny, so the VSS in the Tremec is a VR Magnetic (inductive) type? That's not compatible with the HP (but is with the Dominator). So I need to look for a Hall-Effect sensor. I'm going to be installing a Moser 9" also and I thought I saw a post about using the 16 lug reluctor on the pinion yoke. Since I'm starting from scratch with my drivetrain which type of sensor would you go with? I know we've talked before and I appreciate your responses.

The conversion to Hall-Effect starts at post #20: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7220#post67220 (Related Forum Thread)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Thanks Danny, so the VSS in the Tremec is a VR Magnetic (inductive) type? That's not compatible with the HP (but is with the Dominator). So I need to look for a Hall-Effect sensor. I'm going to be installing a Moser 9" also and I thought I saw a post about using the 16 lug reluctor on the pinion yoke. Since I'm starting from scratch with my drivetrain which type of sensor would you go with? I know we've talked before and I appreciate your responses.
    Depends if you're going to have a ferrous target or a magnet. Strange sells flying magnet sensor collars for the pinion yoke. Holley has sensors for either flying magnets or for ferrous teeth. Look at 554-124 or 554-125.

Hi Danny. The link only has a thread with four posts. Is there another link you can direct us to? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by eville View Post
    Is there another link you can direct us to?
    Yeah, the link in post #3 of that forum thread, which is the forum post I directed you to. In other words, just click HERE.