Thread: HyperSpark distributor with HP ECU?

Default HyperSpark distributor with HP ECU?

I see that Holley now has a harness to connect the HyperSpark distributor to a HP main harness. I have an application that only needs batch fire (injectors in blower hat), so I don't need the Dual Sync distributor. Just wondering if this is plug & play? I doubt there's a drop down option in the menu for HyperSpark distributor, but I should be able to set it up as custom correct?

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I doubt there's a drop down option in the menu for HyperSpark distributor, but I should be able to set it up as custom correct?
    Yes. Holley HyperSpark Distributor & MSD CD Ignition Box Custom Ignition Parameters:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ...... ― "1 Pulse/Fire" (← Holley HyperSpark Distributor)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100 usec" adjusted per application (← Synchronization Info)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "57.5°" (← Inherent Ignition Reference Angle)
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output Fixed Duty Cycle (MSD)" (← MSD CD Ignition Box)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "2.0 msec" (← MSD CD Ignition Box)

LSx Ignition Coils:
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← GM LSx Ignition Coils)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "3.5-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 3 - LINK.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks Danny, that was the path I was headed down. I knew that the HyperSpark was 57.5° rather than 50°. And you guessed correctly, I'll be triggering an MSD CDI box with the white wire.

You're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

I followed up with Holley Tech and they agreed with all of the above, except they said I needed to use Digital Rising rather than Digital Falling.

Yeah, that's what they specify for their 36-1 crank trigger kit too (which I have), but I'll never use Digital Rising. I always use Digital Falling.

Same here. As far as I can tell it just means the distributor housing has to be moved over one tooth width, since you'll be triggering off the back side of the tooth rather than the front side. Digital Falling seems to be better edge when you look at the wave on a scope. I'll probably program it for Digital Falling when I set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Digital Falling seems to be better edge when you look at the wave on a scope.
    Yes, Digital Falling is much preferred! I've ran a System Log (Holley HP/Dominator EFI software) of both types on the same Hall-Effect sensor, and Digital Falling is a much cleaner signal.