Thread: Can HP do a "Virtual' Output?

Default Can HP do a "Virtual' Output?

I have an HP that came with Advanced tables setup to perform a "shift kill" for a motorcycle air shifter. It uses a defined output to activate one of the Advanced tables, but this "output" is not used to do anything external to the ECU.

Does this output need to be assigned to an output pin? Can I have 4 outputs that go to pins and are used for other things? Right now I have an output to a shift light, and 2 stages of nitrous. I'd like to add another light (a switched warning light from the rear wheel speed sensor). Then could I leave the "5th" output not assigned to a pin and have it still operate for the advanced tables? Or will not assigning it to a pin keep it from being active?

I "think" I've attached my Global File. It's a V4 Global File. The output in question is the H Shift Kill Output that is currently not assigned. Thanks, Chris
    Attached Files Attached Files

You have a Shift Kill input and a Shift Kill output. The Shift Kill input activates the Shift Kill output. Why? Just remove the Shift Kill output and use the Shift Kill input to activate the Advanced table. It's in the drop down list.

Thanks for taking a look!

Took me a while to figure out how this works again! (I didn’t build this functionality, so it takes me a bit to follow the logic and understand the details how it works). Shift Kill Input goes both to the ECU (pin J1-A13) AND to the air solenoid on the shift ram. Shift Kill Output activates when Shift Kill Input is grounded. The timer function for Shift Kill Output is used to provide a .02 sec delay to allow the shift air ram to pressurize and preload the shifter. Then Shift Kill Output becomes active for .06 sec - killing all fuel to the engine (using 1D Table #1) to unload the sequential transmission to allow the shift air ram to complete the shift without rolling out of the throttle or touching the clutch lever. Also 1D Per Gear Table #1 is also used — looks like it is used to keep the CL compensation from trying to “override” the fuel kill maybe?

So long way to say both the Shift Kill Input and Shift Kill Output are needed. The additional “speed light” is just a “nice to have” to keep from trying to shift into the non-existent 6th gear and losing some “drive” while tucked in tight trying to see the timing lights and 1 mile marker. So will the Shift Kill Output function for the advanced table even if it is not assigned to a pin? Or should I just keep it assigned to the J1-B3 pin and not try to make a 5th output on the HP? Thanks again, Chris

Yes, you can do "ghost" outputs and not pin them, I do it all the time for things like logic flows, calculations, etc. It works very well.

Awesome! Thanks! I didn’t know if the 4 output limit was a physical interface limit or a firmware/software limit.

Correct, the HP EFI four I/O limit is for actual wired I/O (as indicated by the Pin Map); the "software based I/O" limit is eighty Inputs & sixty-two Outputs (as indicated in the Inputs/Outputs ICF).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Correct, the HP EFI four I/O limit is for actual wired I/O (as indicated by the Pin Map); the "software based I/O" limit is eighty Inputs & sixty-two Outputs (as indicated in the Inputs/Outputs ICF).
    Holy cow, excellent! Thanks.

You're welcome.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

So do you just deal with the unmapped outputs warning every time you save?

Yes, or if you have the Dominator ECU, you can Pin Map them to any available pin so there's no warning message when exiting the EFI software.