Thread: Terminator Cranking

Default Terminator Cranking

Hey folks! I'm back with another issue. Had the car out yesterday after some help with tuning from a buddy. Car ran better than it ever has, drove the car for several hours Saturday, absolutely no issues. Parked it in the garage went out this morning and the car cranked fine, but would never fire off. I did a TPS Autoset, I've checked spark & fuel, all are good. Good cranking voltage as well, the handheld is only showing it crank up to 150 RPM. Any idea what would cause this sudden change?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

I've completed all the checks on the list. I have 12.7V while cranking all wires and connectors appear to be in good condition. One day old plugs. Wires less than four months old. While cranking it's only showing 150 RPM. Signal wire from distributor and MSD box are in good shape. I'm using a GM large cap HEI distributor. I will try replacing the module tonight and test the MSD box. What blows my mind is it was running at its best when I parked it and in less than 12 hours in the garage the thing won't even start.

Have you verified spark at the plug and fuel coming out of the injectors?

Yes sir, it seems to me the car turns over fast enough, but the handheld only shows up to 150 RPM. All other sensors read in range.

Just because the handheld shows RPM, does not mean you have spark at the plug.

Sorry! I did check for spark at the plug and had spark. I changed the Crank To Run RPM (Cranking Parameters) from 400 to 125 and the car fired right up. Will this change hurt anything?

It's just a Band-Aid for the real problem, which is probably Base Fuel Table tuning.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It was just tuned the day before and ran better than it ever has, so I feel like the Base Fuel Table is very close. What I don't understand is why the cranking RPM dropped so drastically. I will replace the distributor module and see if that improves the cranking RPM.

It was tuned two days before and it had never ran or started better. I think the Base Fuel Table is close, obviously not perfect. Where would I begin looking at the Base Fuel Table to make adjustments? I may replace the distributor modular for safe measure.