Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Tuning

The thread Danny posted is really helpful, but don't overlook the point about getting your Target AFRs right for that engine - EVERYTHING else assumes that those are dialed in first!

I strongly suggest switching your Target AFR table from "Simple" to "2D", then experimenting with richer/leaner AFRs in the Idle, Cruise, and WOT areas until you find the ones your engine likes best, then let the Sniper do its Learning, then you can Transfer Learning To Base and smooth the Base Fuel Table (Fuel Graph). THEN you can start looking at the Coolant Temperature and Acceleration Enrichment tables, after you get the Target AFRs and Base Fuel Table setup for that engine.

I'm not familiar with your E303 camshaft, but looking online at others it seems idling at 750 RPM at 13" vacuum (53-ish kPa) isn't unreasonable, but looking at your Learn Table (without a datalog to be sure), it looks like your idle is in that RPM ballpark, but maybe less vacuum (higher kPa)? At any rate, try different Target AFRs until you get the best/most stable Idle, then go on to Cruise AFRs, etc. I'm betting you'll see some significant improvements, especially you should be able to Cruise a good bit leaner without issues.
    Last edited by bruzerbruce; 12-31-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Fuel/Timing Table (and MAP kPa & RPM axes/scales) should be configured using the Sniper EFI software:
    In the Sniper EFI software (LINK), Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (Fuel ICF) & Base Timing Table (Spark ICF), select "2D Table" Type (not "Simple").
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Timing Table can then be properly configured & tuned for any engine.
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Sniper EFI Software & Holley 558-443 CAN/USB Dongle)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...679#post100679 (Sniper EFI Optional Comm/Data Cable Accessories)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Sniper_0002.zip
    Datalog from today. I tried running the Config File from thecowwatcher. Ran bad, noticed that IAC Position on his was much higher than mine. I decided to go back with my original for the datalog. I warmed engine
    pulled plugs a few were slightly saturated with fuel, compression tested cylinder, most were 125 two were 130 plugs gapped at .042ish. I wire brushed plugs. This datalog was after compression test.

Interesting considering I only Transferred the Learn Table to the Base Table and smoothed out any rough areas. I wonder if the IAC % increased due to the adjusted fuel in your idle area. In this case, I'd have readjusted the throttle blades and cycled the ignition to reset the TPS % to zero and see how it responds.

Was it running rough at all? Can you post the Config File from the datalog run? I'd like to take a look at the Learn Table before and after to see what changes were made.

first config file (2).zip
    It seemed to be running happy with my Config File.

Great! I compared them side by side and with the Config File. I Transferred the Learn Table to the Base Table showed everything the exact same with the Learn Table compensations added/subtracted in.

Completely ignore the one I did and keep going with what you got.

The datalog looks great too. Can't wait to see some datalogs while driving. No lost data points and the IAC is doing what it should. Glad you got all this down! Happy tuning!

Well, I certainly have a lot to learn,
    and I’m certainly grateful to have folks like you to help me. I'll be working out my bugs and posting up. I’ll be in touch.

Thank you Bruzerbruce. I'm going to follow your directions to the T.
    My difficulty was that I have no idea where to start with tuning, the instruction books for the Sniper are nice, but they don’t explain where to start building a base tune, especially for someone that has zero tuning experience. I've read tons of material and watched many videos, I think your instructions are exactly what I needed to get the picture.

Bruce. It would be awesome if you could make a YouTube video on this. I tried adjusting my AFRs around the idle bubble, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect on the vacuum or idle quality. I've even changed them +\- 1.0 on the AFR and it doesn’t have an effect. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12