Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud Fuel Pump

Default Loud Fuel Pump

Good evening everyone, I drive an 1989 Oldsmobile custom cruiser (307). I recently bought a Holley Sniper complete kit with fuel pump, hoses, etc. Car runs alright. My fuel pump (one supplied with the kit) Just wines really loud. I have the polarity correct and large enough wire going to the pump, and the fuel runs through the supplied filters. My only guess to fix the problem is the fact that the fuel pump has to suck the fuel out of the tank, to the fuel pump mounted closest to the bottom of the tank that I could. Is there something I'm missing? is the pump a factory defect? Thank you to anyone who replies.

The external pumps aren't all that quiet, ours can be heard from 15 feet away.

Can you hear the pump from the drivers seat, with the engine running? Have you rubber mounted the pump? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Yes, I can hear it when I'm driving, yes I've used the rubber clamps. I was unaware these things can be so loud, is there anything I can put over the pump (sound proofing) that won't make the pump overheat? Thank you both for responding so quickly.

A loud fuel pump is usually an indication fuel pump cavitation or maybe a clogged filter(s).

An EFI fuel system needs two filters:
    Before fuel pump - 100 micron pre-filter. (Or the OEM in-tank sock filter.)
    After fuel pump - 10 micron post-filter. (40 micron is for carburetion.)

The 40 micron (carburetor) fuel filter has no place on an EFI fuel system. (I know you're not using it.)
    It's too "fine" of a filter to be used before the pump, causing fuel pump cavitation.
    http://documents.holley.com/holleyfu...ems_chart1.pdf (Fuel System Selection Chart)
    http://documents.holley.com/flyer_ho...el_systems.pdf (Holley Fuel Systems Brochure)

Inspect/troubleshoot/service the fuel system (fuel pump, cavitation, plumbing, voltage, filters, pickup tube, tank venting, etc.). A datalog will just verify a problem with the fuel pressure, injector duty cycle, pulse width, etc.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

40 microns is too small? The Sniper instructions (and Master Fuel kits) come with and indicate a 20 micron pre-filter?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-11 125518.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	8969

I don't know why there's a 20 micron pre-filter before the fuel pump. I wouldn't do that. That Napa 3033 isn't even an automotive EFI fuel filter. Also, if there's an OEM sock filter still in the fuel tank, then an additional pre-filter shouldn't be installed.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Aeromotive doesn't recommend that small of a pre-filter. Their pumps do flow a lot, possibly more than the ones Holley has in mind with the Sniper systems...but still seems safer to run a 100 micron either way. You're relying on gravity and a slight vacuum from the pump to allow the fuel through the pre-filter. The post filter can push through the smaller filtration device, but I don't see why you'd want to have that smaller pre-filter and risk it. Most fuel pumps can pass a 100 micron or less particle with no issue, but the injectors can't, which is why we use a 10 micron post-filter on EFI engines. On carb applications, you have less pressure and don't need as fine of a filter anyway since you don't have injectors, which is why 40 micron is recommended.
    Standard sugar crystals are ~400 microns, so your 100 micron filter will catch all of your ex-wife's hatred with ease.

OK, we'll try it without the pre-filter and see about the noise. I'll have to either find a 100 micron pre-filter to replace it with, or rig a sock up. We're using a 70 gallon in-bed tank/toolbox instead of the old behind-the-seat gas tank ('69 C10 pickup). Does Holley know or care that they're setting people up for noisy cavitating pumps?

EDIT: The Wix p/n 33270, or Napa 3270, is the exact same physical size as the 33033, but is rated nominal 140 microns, instead of the 33033's 20-40 (depending on sources). It shows on hand at my local NAPA. So I'll pick one up and swap it in and see.
    Last edited by bruzerbruce; 12-11-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruzerbruce View Post
    40 microns is too small? The Sniper instructions (and Master Fuel kits) come with and indicate a 20 micron pre-filter?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-11 125518.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	8969
    When I saw this picture, I thought you must be looking at the wrong manual. Because I'm pretty sure the manual used to say 100 microns pre-filter and 10 microns post-filter. And now it says the kit contains a NAPA P/N 3033 pre-filter. According to the NAPA website it's a 20 micron filter made by Wix. And it comes with two short hoses and low pressure clamps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast