Thread: MSD 84661 magnetic pickup failures.

Default MSD 84661 magnetic pickup failures.

The MSD distributor and box fitted to one of my Aston Martins to replace the original Opus system worked well for about 15 years. About 18 months ago it stopped. The box failed, emitting an uncontrolled series of pulses of spark. I then purchased a 6AL box, new cap and rotor and two 84661 pickups. In fact, I bought two boxes, one for my Lotus 50 which is approaching the end of a total rebuild. The first 84661 failed when I was on a 3,000 mile journey to Perth in Western Australia for an Aston club National meeting. That was a year ago and I accept that stuff happens and that there is rarely a good time for a critical near new component to fail. The second one failed last week; at least it failed closer to home, but I am becoming just a little sick of it. Was there a faulty batch? Or am I just unlucky to have committed myself to MSD products with an extremely short life expectancy? What should I do? Regards, Bill

Do you still have the failed one from last week Bill? Can you measure the pickup resistance please? Gary
    Regards, Gary

500 Ohms to 700 Ohms.
    shake-n-bake