Thread: Headers Glowing & Melting Plug Wire Boots

Default Headers Glowing & Melting Plug Wire Boots

Hey all. I have an issue here. Like the title says. I have had the Dominator running on my truck and not experienced this. I removed the engine to swap heads and reinstalled everything and now this. Here is the situation:
    GMC Typhoon
    4.3V6 Bowtie block
    Comp Cams timing chain set (crank sprocket is 9 way)
    Brodix -10 heads
    custom cam .560"ish lift
    1.6 ratio rocker arms
    Stainless headers
    Stock distributor (HEI)
    Fluid Damper

Got everything fired up and ran not so good. I set static timing to 0° only on the Dominator software it only lets me set to 1°. I remember doing this last summer and it had let me set it to 0°. So I turned the distributor to 1° to match the Dominator. Am I thinking about this correctly here? On the stock truck, you had to unplug the EST wire and set the timing to 0° with the distributor. Then you plugged your EST wire back in and the computer would take over timing. This is how I did it last summer and it seemed to work OK.

At this point, something is just very very wrong. I'm suspicious I installed the 9 position crank sprocket wrong, but looked at the pics on my last assembly and the O was pointing to the cam dot. Seems right to me. My intention was to install it straight up.

Fuel mixture seems to be OK although, I don't get the Learning table. Sometimes it is Learning and other times it's not. If anyone has any thoughts please let me know. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191024_074507.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	8955  

Excessively retarded ignition timing is the most common cause of glowing exhaust headers. Headers glow red because there’s fuel burning inside.
    The two main reasons are a faulty A/F mixture (most likely too rich) and retarded ignition timing; which doesn’t give the fuel enough time to burn
    inside the combustion chamber. Are you sure the ignition timing synchronization is correct (LINK)?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Did you release the static timing value after you synchronized everything? How much timing are you commanding in the idle part of the map?
    93 Notchback, 383ci SBF, Highports, 80mm turbo, custom cam, TH400