Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Difficult to start when Atomic controls ignition.

Yes, that's a good test. But be aware that a high current draw in the starter circuit (bad cable, bad starter, etc.) can pull the battery voltage down too. If the battery is weak (or may be going bad), and the voltage to the Atomic is too low it can't function and therefore may be the reason your not getting a spark signal on the first crank.

Do a voltage drop test while cranking and see if the cables to starter is bad (too small). Does your car pickup the power for interior (Atomic, MSD) form the battery stud on the starter? If so those battery cables are critical. You mentioned that you have dual 5 AWG cables to starter. I don't know for sure but that seems to be a weak link - generally a "one-aught" ("0" AWG) cable is used for starter circuit. And ground side is just as important. A voltage drop test will tell all.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by countrybumkin; 12-19-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks, that was an good checklist. I've now ordered an brand new battery, with 900 Amp in "Max. Discharge Current", so then I'm sure the battery is OK, then I'll check for voltage drop in all callings. I think I have oversized all cabling, but I might be wrong, or have a bad connector, even though I have soldered all connectors, just to be sure that its good contact. Now I Know, that if you plan to run electronic ignition and EFI, then you must have a battery, starter, generator and cabling, that are in absolutely top condition, otherwise, it will not work, even a smallest voltage drop, will cause problems.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234