Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sniper with MSD CD box & points distributor.

Correct, and it's never used with an aftermarket CD ignition box.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I had assumed that the MSD instructions were for multiple installations on different vehicles. The resistance wire is shown on the car’s wiring diagram. It also includes a condenser attached to the negative side of the coil. I assume the condenser is to defeat noise that could impact the operation of the radio. I didn’t check the voltage across the coil with a multimeter however; a check with a trouble light revealed a very weak light glow. I haven’t taken the time to test the voltage across the coil, but I assume that removing the resistor has resulted in a significantly different operation. I think my initial confusion came in trying to connect the CD box with the points distributor. Sniper installation notes do not mention what to do with the points distributor connection. The MSD CD box does show the proper connection for the coil. However, Sniper techs advise their white wire is not used, and that the gray wire from the CD box is all that's required. The white wire from the CD box connects directly to the points distributor lead. This is why I had initially requested someone to provide a setup showing the complete installation. The situation is that one representative recommends not using the white wire while the other representative recommends using the white wire. I believe that Holley owns Sniper and MSD. The devices work perfectly together, however, it would be nice to have more positive direction from the manufacturer for the infrequent or casual installer.

Requested photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2418.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	8933   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2417.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	8934  
    Last edited by Monkeywrench; 11-27-2019 at 02:03 PM.

The condenser is on the negative side of the coil and forms part of the coil/points operation. When the points open, the condenser discharges into the coil. It is not for noise suppression.

Your CD box puts out 450 volts to the coil, so don't be complacent around the coil positive terminal with the engine running.

Surprising the 450V didn't blow up other things connected to 12V with the resistance wire connected to coil positive. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123