Thread: Extremely High Fuel Pressure

Default Extremely High Fuel Pressure

I just installed the Atomic with Return line. I bought the Master Kit with the Fuel Return kit. November 2019. I got everything installed and for my first startup, I set the fuel pump to "non-PWM with Regulator". When I turn on ignition key, the fuel pressure goes to over 100 psi (I have a gauge mounted on the Regulator). After a second the fuel drops to zero (this is without starting the engine). When I started the engine and the Atomic Dash and the mechanical gauge shows the fuel pressure is over 100 psi. The engine stalls after a couple of seconds.

I though the return line might be blocked, so I removed the return line from the TBI and capped the outlet. Then I switched the fuel pump type to "PWM". I started the engine and it read 139 psi on the Atomic Dash. Is that even possible? Engine started ran a second then stopped. There was a code for A/F.

Next, I reconnected the fuel return line and switched pump type to "PWM with Regulator". This time I was able to maintain 50 psi, and the engine stayed running.
    I thought there might have just been some trash in the fuel pump (perhaps internal high-pressure bypass - if there is one) which is now cleared. So I switched fuel pump type back to "Non-PWM with Regulator" (as the MSD manual says is the recommended setting for adjusting fuel pressure) but the fuel pressure again went over 100 psi. And I have the Regulator adjustment screw backed all the way out.

So, I went back to "PWM with Regulator". In that setting I can maintain 50 psi fuel pressure and engine runs. What is going on? Is it possible the fuel pump can be putting out over a 100 psi? The manual says the pump is rated for 70 psi and I should set it to 60 psi (for engines with over 400 HP).

Problem not fixed. I had it stable at 48 psi with pump setting at "PWM with Regulator". This was just idling. I hadn't driven yet, but went I went out for a test ride I see the fuel pressure on the Atomic Dash back up to 95 psi. This is confirmed by the mechanical gauge on the pressure regulator. I'll call MSD on Monday.

Hi Countrybumkin. Reading the other thread with Frank and his C10, I think you got this one sorted out. Glad things are starting to work out.

It's all sorted out. I had a restriction (pinched) return line. That was causing fuel pressure to creep up high. It's fixed now, and Atomic is working great. Very impressive system.