Thread: Updated Sniper, still can't use laptop.

Default Updated Sniper, still can't use laptop.

I've looked on here, but can't find one post with the two problems I'm having. I'm working on an older Sniper system, so I updated the SD card and firmware just like in the video. The card now reflects a .fwu file and the handheld has more features than before, so it's supposed to be updated correct? However, I still have two problems, I can't communicate with it from a laptop. It says I don't have the right software, V1.1 vs V1.6 or something like that. I've downloaded the most recent Sniper EFI software. Also it will not Learn, it wouldn't before the upgrade either. TPS is set and all Compensation tables are at 100% once it hits operating temp (160°F). If I try to boot-up with a laptop, I can communicate for a few seconds, but then it bumps me off and shows the message I mentioned. The Learn Table and page are grayed out, not allowing me to activate it. Closed Loop is not operating either. It's running off a base calibration I guess (as per the Wizard setup), but won't reflect any O2 correction & feedback. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cutlassefi; 10-31-2019 at 04:02 PM.

My guess is that your upgrade wasn't successful. Look at the ECU info to see what version you have and go from there. When you pick a FW version off of the website, you need to make sure that the handheld and ECU version are compatible. The PC software also has to be compatible. You can easily mess things up if you don't work off the FW upgrade sheet.

OK, but where can I find what's compatible with what?

Everything you need is in the Sniper EFI section: https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Sniper EFI Software & Firmware Files)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Got it thank you. Seems the problem may be that the TPS is being shared by a TCI transmission controller. I'll have to check that tomorrow and reload software. Andyf there's no "FW upgrade sheet", only one version of software & firmware for Sniper at this time. That's per Holley tech. Thanks.

There are 12 versions of ECU FW, 12 versions of handheld FW and 5 versions of PC software. Only some combinations are compatible. If your Sniper isn't working the first thing to do is verify that you have compatible versions of code in all devices.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlassefi View Post
    Got it thank you. Seems the problem may be that the TPS is being shared by a TCI transmission controller. I'll have to check that tomorrow and reload software. Andyf there's no "FW upgrade sheet", only one version of software & firmware for Sniper at this time. That's per Holley tech. Thanks.
    Here's the sheet that he's referring to: https://documents.holley.com/techlib...2.19update.pdf
    1968 Camaro, 383 with Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads and Comp Cams roller cam, Holley Sniper EFI with Dual Sync distributor, Muncie M21 4-speed transmission, 3.73 12-bolt Eaton posi differential.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlassefi View Post
    Seems the problem may be that the TPS is being shared by a TCI transmission controller.
    Correct, this wiring fault is well documented in the Sniper EFI forum.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.