Thread: Terminator Stealth - Pre-Sales Questions

Default Terminator Stealth - Pre-Sales Questions

Hello everyone. I'm going to be buying this Terminator Stealth kit for my '69 Firebird in just a few weeks:
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-441

I have some pre-sales questions I thought I would ask on the forum before bothering a Holley salesperson,
    since I'm not ready to order at the moment. Then I can just ask them the ones that don't get answered when I call to order in a few weeks.

First, in addition to the 550-441, I'll also be buying the following:
    Distributor: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...arts/565-207BK
    Fuel tank & pump: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/19-404
    Maybe this HydraMat: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s/parts/16-116
    Maybe this USB cable: https://www.holley.com/products/data...90-CA-USBABM-6

I guess my first 2 questions are, is that the proper HydraMat and USB cable for this setup?
    Is there a better fuel pump option for that tank kit, because I want to run -8AN lines and the 1/4" in/out on that one is not going to cut it.

Next, I'll be needing/using the following sensors:
    2nd WBO2 sensor (554-100)
    Fuel pressure (554-102 1/8" NPT)
    Fuel temperature (534-10 3/8" NPT) - Is this the right one to use for fuel temp?
    Oil temp (534-10 3/8" NPT)
    IAT (534-20 3/8" NPT) - Is this already included?
    Coolant temp - included (534-10 3/8" NPT)
    Oil pressure - included (554-102 1/8" NPT)

Moving on, I'll need 6 fan outputs:
    Dual radiator fans
    Dual oil cooler fans
    Electric water pump
    P/S cooler fan

Questions on the capabilities of the Holley ECU:
    Kick on dual radiator fans when Vintage A/C is on?
    Can it be programmed to kick idle up 50 RPM when A/C compressor kicks on like OEM?
    Run low radiator fan and water pump after engine shut-off for a set amount of time?

Here some other questions I have I wrote down to find out:
    Is this a MAP based setup with the sensor in the TB housing?
    How does the Holley ECU get the speedometer input? My T56 Magnum has a VSS and I have Dakota Digital Gauges.
    Does Holley sell a fuel rail with return?
    Does the fuel tank come with a gas cap? If not, what type do I need - vented or non?
    Is that fuel tank baffled for HPD events?
    I plan on using -8AN for the fuel lines. Does anyone see any issues with that? They will be black nylon carbon impregnated PTFE lines.
    What pin removal tool do I need for this? Tyco style?
    I presume this is fully tunable using the V5 software from a laptop?
    How many tunes can it store and can I switch between them with the touchscreen? I usually run three and want to be able to switch between them anytime.
    Is there a configurable "highway" mode like OEM? I'm guess probably not since this is not DBW and this no CC, correct?
    Is it capable of remote start with aftermarket alarm systems?

Lastly, I have Dakota Digital gauges and will be buying this Holley EFI interface module from them: https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....od/prd1105.htm. I know it's new and I've read about issues with it online but I have no choice. Hopefully, they are good about releasing firmware updates for it as needed. Thanks in advance to all who are able to contribute some answers/info for me! I've never tuned Holley EFI before, but have been tuning OEM ECUs for 19 years, so if I asked anything that doesn't apply, please say so. Alex
    Last edited by 92GTA; 10-31-2019 at 01:11 AM.
    http://www.TheFOAT.com/92GTA
    1969 Pontiac Firebird with BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black with black interior.
    1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Gray Metallic, gray leather, T-Tops.

Your post is very long with a lot of questions. If you need that much purchasing help, please contact your Holley EFI dealer. I suggest Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com or Richard Nedbal (FastManEFI) at EFIExpert.com.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks. But why a dealer and not Holley direct? I wasn't looking to buy from a dealer, unless there's a compelling reason to do so.
    1969 Pontiac Firebird with BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black with black interior.
    1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Gray Metallic, gray leather, T-Tops.

Purchasing from either one of the Holley EFI Dealers I suggested is better than buying direct from Holley. You'll need a lot of tech help before & after the sale, and you'll probably save money too.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm TB, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

A couple of things I saw. The base Terminator Stealth does not have the connection for a 2nd WBO2 sensor. You need the one listed for transmission, https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/550-443. This will give you a lot more options for inputs and outputs, you don't need to run a transmission, it's the same as the Dominator ECU. It will come with the transmission wiring. The base Terminator also runs the Dominator software just less connections. Check out the Dominator forum/videos for additional info.
    Check out some of Danny's posts and check out the wiring diagrams for the Dominator to see what inputs can be added, especially for the Terminator transmission. The WBO2 sensor you listed is the NTK WBO2 sensor. The sensor included with the Terminator is a Bosch and if you run a pair, they must be the same, Bosch or NTK not mixed. The NTK WBO2 sensor seems to be used for "more severe" conditions and you are burning up the Bosch WBO2 sensors. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/554-101.
    The tank looks good if that is the correct one for your car and the HydraMat looks to be the correct one for that pump.
    Not sure where you want to use the USB cable, but the USB connector on the ECU can get damaged if pulled at a weird angle or knocked. There are however, USB cables available that have the correct threaded housing connected that tightens and holds the USB cable secure in the Holley ECU, possibly also watertight, if you want to connect your laptop. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel.../parts/558-409. I'm not sure you will need to step up the idle when the A/C compressor cuts in. I'm sure you will be using a rotary A/C compressor and not the piston style. The Terminator is able to respond quickly to adjust RPMs.
    Not sure you want or can use the Holley ECU to control your cool down, it would need power to be maintained to the ECU, not its intended purpose.
    No reason a remote start would not work. Your alarm might require you go through additional steps if you are using a manual gearbox.
    Not sure why you want a speed input into the Holley, traction control, info for a datalog? Maybe the Dakota Digital BIM will provide that input.
    Any sensor can be used to provide input, you need to know its resistance/voltage characteristics, suitable for the medium you want to measure and physically fit.
    Using Holley sensors is easier as they have the characteristics programmed already.
    No problem controlling the fans, need relays to feed them.
    The distributor you linked is a dual sync so good if that fit your engine, check the gear is correct.
    If running a single coil then you need an MSD ignition box, if sequential coils then you need the wiring loom and coils.
    IAT is built into the throttle body.
    Have you checked out the video on fuel tank? It says it contains a rollover valve which generally all you need to vent the tank. A vented gas cap should not be needed.
    You have limited inputs and outputs on the base Terminator.
    If you purchase the transmission Terminator, you might need to either purchase the plugs and pins for the ECU or buy a loom to access those connections. https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...efi/harnesses/. Check out the videos made by Holley and some on YouTube. Buying through a dealer gives you access to people who work on these constantly and can offer hints and other training.
    Last edited by Bdud; 01-28-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks a lot for the response! I ended up buying the Terminator Stealth with the base ECU since I don't *need* to run a 2nd WBO2.

I did buy that proper thread-on USB cable. I'll be mounting my ECU under the dash.

I bought the MSD 6EFI box for it (also going under the dash). I did get that Dual Sync distributor, but ordered the polymer gear from Butler Performance.

I haven't bought a tank or fuel pump setup yet. Decided to go with VaporWorx to do a PWM fuel pump.

I was going to feed the speed input into the Holley and have the DD Holley adapter output it to the speedo. Yes, for datalogging. But I decided to simplify and I'll just keep the speedo straight to the DD gauge.

That's good to hear the ECU can respond very quickly to the A/C compressor coming on. I'm running a Sanden stye compressor from VA. I just know most OEM ECUs do the 50 RPM step up to account for engine load.

The only extra sensors not included in the kit I ordered at this point are a fuel pressure, oil pressure, and oil temp. I know the base ECU will support 4 extra I/O, but I'm not sure if Holley includes the fuel pressure as a standard or an extra. I'm sure the oil pressure is a standard one. So I may have one or two I/O still available.

I'm hoping it won't be too different from the OEM ECU tuning I've been doing for 20 years now. Either way though, when it comes to a proper tune, I'll be driving it down to Westech Performance for that.
    Last edited by 92GTA; 01-28-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
    I know the base ECU will support 4 extra I/O, but I'm not sure if Holley includes the fuel pressure as a standard or an extra. I'm sure the oil pressure is a standard one. So I may have one or two I/O still available.
    The Terminator EFI only has the fuel pressure sensor prewired (see post #9 below for adding an oil pressure sensor) and doesn't utilize the four Inputs. The added temperature sensor will utilize one Input.

The Terminator EFI systems are prewired for the fuel pressure sensor only. However, the ECU & EFI software is capable of wiring the additional oil pressure sensor.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ressure-hookup (Related Forum Thread)

Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. That's interesting considering you need fuel pressure, oil pressure, and water temp to not have any errors on the handheld dash from what I read. That's why I was figuring those would be standard and the four extra I/O would be on top of that.

The HP & Dominator EFI systems (main harnesses) are prewired for the fuel & oil pressure sensors.

OK, thanks.