Thread: Sniper controlled timing for Ford 300.

Default Sniper controlled timing for Ford 300.

Hi all, I'm working on a 1985 Ford Bronco with a 300 inline 6. I recently found out that I've engine damage from the timing, at some point, being too far advanced. This may have been a one time thing, as it doesn't seem to be ongoing, but the damage has been done. My pistons and rings have visible detonation damage and I need to break the engine down and partially rebuild it.

As such, I want to be able to control my timing with the Sniper, instead of relying on springs and vacuum. Plus, I can see my timing at all times on the handheld, as well as datalog it. However, Holley doesn't make a direct replacement distributor for my engine. I've read you have to "lock out the distributor" and then things get vague. I know it can be done, but am not sure what the best approach is. There are three options available to me.

First: The original Ford Duraspark II ignition. I have this in a box in the garage, and it's fully functional. This includes the distributor, ignition module and coil. If needs be, I can look into an aftermarket ignition box, such as the MSD 6A or the Holley HyperSpark. But then, again, I don't know what to do after that.

Second: This what I'm running now, which is a custom curved aftermarket HEI distributor made by PerformanceDistributors. This has the built-in ignition module and coil in the cap. I've read that this can also be used with an aftermarket ignition box, but requires a little bit of surgery.

Third: In 1987, my engine went to fuel injection, and there is a direct replacement Hall-Effect distributor. This one in particular: https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi.../dp/B001DAJQU6

However, I really know nothing about it. Which option would be the best to pursue? I'm new to computer controlled timing, but have no problems learning about this stuff. Just not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by 85 Phoenix; 10-28-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    1985 Ford Bronco. 300 (305) ci inline 6. 9.1:1 compression, P&P head with enlarged valves, high flow exhaust. 32" BFG A/T tires. 5 speed ZF5 manual transmission with 3.55 rear end. Holley 550-850 2300 Sniper EFI.

Always go with the Hall-Effect distributor. It will be the easiest to setup. You'll have to determine the Crank Reference Angle to achieve proper rotor phasing (or ascertain this from Ford documentation). See link below. Just curious, is the Ford inline six cylinder distributor the same as any eight cylinder distributor?
    http://www.masterenginetuner.com/top...all-fails.html (Crank Reference Angle Importance)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Yes, the V8 version is pretty much identical, aside from 8 prongs vs 6.
    6 Cylinder:
    https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi.../dp/B001DAJQU6
    8 Cylinder:
    https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premi.../dp/B001KRVCRC

I recall reading something on another forum post here that the stator has a "skinny" post on it for the #1, which needs to be corrected. I have no idea if that's true, or if that's for a different distributor. I'd figure the EFI era setup would be the easiest, but got this information on a Facebook group asking about the question:
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Tech View Post
    There's no way to get a TFI distributor to talk to a Sniper simply. You're better off working with a Duraspark magnetic and trying that angle. There's just not a simple way to do it, the Sniper was engineered to accept a limited amount and simple type of inputs. Ethan in Tech
    As for the Crank Reference Angle, is that what's being discussed in this thread: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ynchronization

Seems like it's 10°. What does that tell me? Again, not sure where to go next as far as getting the Sniper to control its timing.
    1985 Ford Bronco. 300 (305) ci inline 6. 9.1:1 compression, P&P head with enlarged valves, high flow exhaust. 32" BFG A/T tires. 5 speed ZF5 manual transmission with 3.55 rear end. Holley 550-850 2300 Sniper EFI.

85 Phoenix, are you familiar with the FordSix forums? Lots of good info over there for your engine. Not as much EFI info as here, but a TON of other stuff.

I am, and have a thread going over there as well. I figured this was a bit more "Sniper" related, as these distributors and ignition systems were used in lots of different vehicles. Trucks, Mustangs, and even CJ Jeeps when they used Motorcraft parts.

I see it. Looks like you'd need to make a crank trigger to get a Hall-Effect on a Ford 300. (BTW, I'm jamyers over there.)

Awesome! I'm appreciating your input over there.

Yeah, I think that's my limiting factor. I'm not much of a fabricator and that seems a bit above my comfort level. I'm quite good at mixing and matching original parts, but when it comes to making my own from scratch, or modifying things to fit, it's not something I have a lot of experience in.

I found a good video about working with the HEI setup, and I think I might go that route first.
    Last edited by 85 Phoenix; 10-30-2019 at 04:44 PM.

You don't need a crank trigger kit. They're nice, but not necessary for your application.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.