Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Won't Learn

Default Sniper Won't Learn

Hello. I'm running a new tune on my Sniper. While cruising at a steady throttle I noticed Target A/F Ratio and actual AFR are 1-2 ratios off. IE, if the target is 14.7:1, it'll be 12-13:1. So I pulled up the vitals page under multi-gauge menu. I noticed it sits in Open Loop and Not Learning. Under System Parameters in the software, I pulled up Closed Loop/Learn, and made sure Enable Closed Loop and Base Fuel Learning Enabled are checked and the Compensation Limits are 50+/- in all cells. Also, when driving the CL Comp will stay at 0%. However, as previously stated, Target A/F Ratio is nowhere near actual. Here's a short datalog & Config File: Attachment 8840

Read center paragraph: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Read center paragraph: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Learn Issues, Self-Tuning".)
    Quick question about Closed Loop Advanced Control. I see it in the software, but can’t click it and there’s no value adjacent nor associated with it. Just the words are there. Why might that be?

You have to hover the mouse cursor over it. It's most likely set to "3" and not the problem anyway.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Your attachment does not work, so I can't see the datalog. But if your Target AFR is not matching your current AFR, but the CL Comp is 0%, I wonder if you have CL enabled? Zip your files and post them again.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC
    1.302 60', 5.95@116.4 on pump gas

I had a Sniper on the dyno recently that wouldn't ever go into Learn. Everything was setup correctly in the EFI software, but it would never go into CL or Learn. Holley Tech told me to readjust the TPS, so that is past zero at idle. Evidently, the TPS sensor can still be sending out a signal even if it's reading zero. So zero TPS isn't always zero. I tweaked the TPS sensor location a tiny bit and then everything started to work again. First time I had run into that.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I had a Sniper on the dyno recently that wouldn't ever go into Learn. Everything was setup correctly in the EFI software, but it would never go into CL or Learn. Holley Tech told me to readjust the TPS, so that is past zero at idle. Evidently, the TPS sensor can still be sending out a signal even if it's reading zero. So zero TPS isn't always zero. I tweaked the TPS sensor location a tiny bit and then everything started to work again. First time I had run into that.
    Wouldn't this only affect Learning at idle? If TPS is steady at a cruise shouldn't it Learn in those areas?

Question about the link Danny provided RE: Learning Issues.
    Nothing there mentioned MAT enrichment, but mentions AE and other temp related enrichments. My CTS is inaccurate (~20°F above MAT) upon cold starts in the morning, but seems spot on at higher temps. I assume this because my 'hot' temp stays right at or just below my thermostat open temp of 195°F and my MAT is within a couple degrees of ambient temp on cold starts. My CTS is located in passenger side head. Today I'll be picking up a TX3 CTS. My MAT enrichment is the automatically populated curve provided by the Wizard. Will enrichment provided by this table prevent Learning? My MAT rarely goes above 80°F and this table provides enrichment all the way up to 120°F.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MATenr.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	8847

Quote Originally Posted by gregs69rs View Post
    Your attachment does not work, so I can't see the datalog. But if your Target AFR is not matching your current AFR, but the CL Comp is 0%, I wonder if you have CL enabled? Zip your files and post them again.
    Sniper_0046.zip Here's a link just in case the upload doesn't work here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-N...t2kM7XTtZsN5B2

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyChevy View Post
    Wouldn't this only affect learning at idle? If TPS is steady at a cruise shouldn't it learn in those areas?
    No, that isn't the way the Sniper works. If the Sniper can't get a stable zero reading when it first starts up, then it goes into some sort of weird unstable mode and is unpredictable. I don't know enough about the code to describe it any better. I think it's a programming error. If I was writing the code I'd have it throw an error code if it couldn't establish zero TPS at startup, so the user would know what was going on, but that isn't the way they coded it.

So even if it's holding 0% TPS at key on & idle, it could be sending a signal? How many degrees would you estimate you had rotate the TPS to solve that issue, if in fact it comes down to that?
    Last edited by HeavyChevy; 10-22-2019 at 12:06 PM.

That shouldn't be necessary. From the Sniper EFI manual, "Important note: The TPS sensor must read less than 2% for IAC idle control to be enabled. If it is above 2%, the IAC will be forced to its "IAC Hold Position". The Sniper TPS will reset its ZERO position at each key cycle." See page 23: http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Help Manual - EFI Software, Tuning & Datalogging)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast