Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Start '55 Chevy

Unfortunately, not much. We verified all coil/injectors. Checks out. Next put into Digital Falling for cam profile and it runs real rough and still backfires. ECU is me that my timing should be retarded by 84° to line up properly. We're going to take a long hard look at the reluctor on the crank to make sure it’s clocked properly, even though it was never taken off. If we spin the engine by hand slowly key-on, I can see cam & crank signals, and they look correct. Telling me that my timing should be retarded by 84° to line up properly. We're going to take a long hard look at the reluctor on the crank to make sure it’s clocked properly, even though it was never taken off. If we spin the engine by hand slowly key-on, I can see cam & crank signals, and they look correct. TDC #1 rise TDC #6 fall. This was on the ECU LEDs. I took a datalog of the engine running poorly and sent it off to Holley Tech.

Holley Tech is having me send the ECU back. In the DL I sent to them, there were five crank errors stacked up. Unusual. I'll keep you posted when I get it back.

OK. What's the current status?
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Saddening. ECU Checks out and ran a test engine just fine. It's being shipped back to me as we speak and I'll receive it a week from today. I have five plans of Attack:
    Compression test: Yields 210-240 psi per cylinder. This tells me that the cam is clocked OK and we can see the cam change its LED status at TDC from low to high and back again.
    Pin-out Holley harness to ECU connector. This is my next big suspect.
    Replace cam and crank sensors again.
    Drop pan and visual crank reluctor clocking. I used a piece of spring steel to feel 8mm reluctor hole at TDC, but could not see it.
    Pull timing cover, last resort as it looks like cam is in correctly.

Ugh! I’m having the same problem here. Any updates?

Not yet! Harness pins out fine with continuity test. My reluctor on crank is A-OK. Just bought new sensors for cam and crank. Something is telling me my timing is off by 84°, but that figure seems to be very wrong. I'll try new sensors tomorrow. Do you have similar timing issues? Does anybody know the correct air gap between the reluctor wheel on the crank and the crank sensor? Currently I’m at .042".

The sensor gap is .030" or slightly less.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...0283#post90283 (Related Forum Post)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

You have a black crank sensor? Or Gray? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Black crank sensor.
    It's a 24x /1x setup.
    I need to move it .018" closer.
    Thanks for the specification, Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by ac delco View Post
    I need to move it .018" closer.
    Thanks for the specification, Danny.
    You're welcome, but isn't it a non-adjustable mounting point?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast