Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Start '55 Chevy

Default No Start '55 Chevy

Hello. I have a 24x LQ9 with stock bottom end, AFR heads, a mild Bullet racing cam, and Holley 36 lb/hr injectors, MSD coil packs. Engine is N/A. Brand new Terminator X kit with handheld #550-904, ECU firmware 1.0.28.

No start. Fuel pressure @ 60 psi, all sensors check and initial start up vitals are OK according to the setup guide and the handheld display.
    Battery voltage is 12.2V and cranking RPM is 96, and it registers RPM when cranking, 15° timing. Two revolutions into cranking my diagnostic lights on the ECU indicate a red LED for #7, the cam. When the ECU boots, it is green, after cranking for 2-3 seconds it turns red, stays red. Never turns blue. No spark present and the plugs are dry.

I suspected the cam sensor, so I changed out the existing Delco one to the factory one when it was a running engine. No change. Confidence is high on the cam sensor that is in the car now. I pinned out the cam sensor connector and found +12V on the red wire and GND on the black. Seeing how the cam LED #7 on ECU turns to red I can only assume that the sensor is working. A call into Bullet cams said this reluctor is correct with the pickup in the rear, near the oil pressure sender. A call to Holley tech support told me to load a base program into the ECU to ignore the cam sensor, but I want to get this working as the purpose of multi-port is not to run bank to bank. I recently ordered the USB to CAN Bus cable to get my PC on it for a closer look. Tech support had no suggestions for the cam light. Cam reluctor and sensor and sensor wiring seem to be in order. Not sure what else is left. Any suggestions? I feel like I'm close.

96 RPM sounds a bit slow. What battery, and size of battery cables? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ac delco View Post
    Battery voltage is 12.2V and cranking RPM is 96, and it registers RPM when cranking, 15° timing.
    Try charging the battery crank the engine faster to start.

(Gary, I didn't know you already replied because he posted this thread twice and I had to merge the threads into one.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Try charging the battery crank the engine faster to start.
    Thanks Danny. Good to see you think the same thing about cranking RPM. Gary
    Regards, Gary

I have a group 1 lead acid battery with a jump pack on it. #2 cables from trunk (battery in trunk) to starter. #10 TXL cables from battery to ECU. I have a newer group 1 battery I'll try, charge up & see. Thanks for quick response. Sorry posted twice. First time didn't acknowledge it was posted no matter if I refreshed or logged back in.

New Battery, 12.6V, cranking now at 114 RPM. No start.
    New issue with higher base voltage: Cam sensor LED is solid blue upon boot up. After one rev of turning over, the crank LED turns from green to red. I assume this is related to the cam. I reviewed the manual on page 34, stating that this cam sensor is out of range. The sensor in it now was factory with the same 24x reluctor wheel. Any suggestions on how to get the cam sensor in range? Thank you.

I have a Terminator X Max on a 5.3L 24x, and I’m having a similar problem. Did you get it figured out?

Negative. I sent a file to Holley and he stated my crank & cam sensor were working fine. It should fire. I verified no spark, and no injector pulse with a noid light. 10.6V during cranking. Should fire, but does not. I'm calling Holley again this week. Maybe the ECU has to go back.

Are you 100% sure +12V and Ground are not reversed on the cam sensor plug? I have done a couple 24X crank & 4x cams and everyone I had to swap the two wires even when using an extension harness. Also, just had problem with the last harness (it was on the crank sensor), but the wire was not seated properly even though it seemed OK - the pull test proved otherwise. I fixed it, all was good.

Yes, cam & crank events are OK as dataogged in the data. It's a new Holley harness arrived with the ECU, pin-outs OK. Voltage, ground, etc. It's a 1x setup.
    A call to Holley said to check coil grounds and 12V at injector harness. Despite the cam error, there's no injector pulse or spark. Then I need to datalog files of two long cranks and they will send it off to their engineering department. Whatever this is, it’s far more complicated than the usual suspect wiring error.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast