Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: No Start '55 Chevy

What's new?
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

I dropped the engine off last Saturday. Waiting for machinist to inspect engine. At the least it will get a new reluctor.

Machinist says reluctor is indexed correct. Run-out at .010”. The reluctor dictates timing. The cam is clocked OK too. I'm out of ideas. Any?

You said you verified the harness with a beeper. Did this verification include checking every pin, to be certain the wires are in the correct location, in the plug(s)? We run into this at the shop, where I work. It's a PITA to pull a harness, but we find it's usually the easiest to do, vs standing on our heads, under a dash.

Being the engine is out, I'd consider pulling the harness, and sending it to Holley, along with the ECU. They stated the ECU ran a test engine, just fine. Let's see if it will, with the harness you have.
    Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

Yes sir. I pinned out that harness. All correct according to the Holley diagram. All A-OK.

Measured builder my reluctor is with .012" run-out. .005" is spec, but not likely achievable with a stamped steel reluctor.

A call to Holley revealed this 24x setup has tight electrical/mechanical tolerances with the Holley ECU. (Factory ECU is looser.) In my case, the engine won’t time right, period. Even though it should, and the reluctor is clocked right.

Current plan is to convert from 24x to 58x reluctor setup which is simpler and more reliable. Harness will need to be modded as well. The new cam & crank sensors are 5V reference, not 12V. This plan should do it. Yeeehaaa this is fun stuff.

Yes, I'm glad you are converting to 58x. Also, when you Ohms tested your harness end to end, did you check there was no short to all other wires nearby within the harness? Gary
    Regards, Gary

Yes. All Looked spot on. I could see three tags on the harness from the factory different levels of QC. Nothing got chaffed.

My last datalog had 5 crank errors in a row. The engine wants to be timed 84° retard. 58x hopefully will lock it in!

You get it converted?

Yeah. In progress. Block is at machine shop. Be another 12 days or so.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456