Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Range Misfire Problem

Default Mid-Range Misfire Problem

Hey guys, I'm absolutely banging my head against a wall with a Sniper issue and hoping you all can help. This is a 2BBL unit installed on a freshly rebuilt Land Cruiser 2F engine. The truck starts, idles, and runs fine at light load but as soon as I go to heavy throttle (50% TPS & up) the truck starts to misfire & breakup. If you tip out of the throttle it will clear up and start to pull again. If you suffer through it the engine clears up once it hits 3000 RPM or so. It seems less sensitive in the lower gears, but definitely exhibits the problem in 3rd and 4th. Sometimes it's worse than others but it's never completely gone.

I've been troubleshooting this for weeks and have done the following:
    Checked, rechecked, and rechecked fuel delivery. Always a solid 58 psi.
    Checked timing repeatedly, changed out the distributor and all ignition components.
    Varied plug gap from .030" - .055" with no effect.
    Switched the throttle body unit from another truck to this one and reran the wizard, still had the problem.
    Swapped the handheld between the two trucks, reran the Wizard, still had the problem.
    Wrapped the wiring in aluminum foil as much as possible to shield from RF interference, no change
    Changed out the WBO2 sensor, no change

I've run a lot of datalogs and spent over an hour on the phone with Holley. I sent them my config file and datalog and they were completely stumped. They pointed me back to ignition problems or something else in the main engine.

Attached is a datalog file that has a series of pulls. I start from a roll and go to WOT in 3rd gear letting the truck do it's thing. Then I shift to 4th and repeat. After letting off in 4th I let the truck slow down then do a pull in 2nd followed by another in third. In the pulls you can see the Learn percentages are sky high and it's not correcting AFR well.

In talking with Holley and my own looking at datalog files no one can figure out why the system is going to such high Learn percentages and running rich. During driving it seems like as I tip out and manifold vacuum comes up the system gets happy again and is able to resume good fuel control. The WBO2 signal seems noisy to me, but it's isolated from the ignition by the engine block so I doubt it's getting interference. The truck is definitely running rich when it's misfiring, I've already changed out one set of plugs and the tailpipe has a lot of soot accumulation.

Any help you guys can offer is much appreciated. I'm about 30 seconds away from throwing this thing out the window and putting a carb back on the engine. 2300_2_WAA.zip sniper_0012.zip
    Last edited by ddl67; 10-16-2019 at 03:28 PM.

Are you at a high elevation?

Yes, we live at 8000'. I should've mentioned that.

May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm not sure what you're pointing me to there. The timing is not controlled by the Sniper (HEI setup from DUI) and it set at a static of 10° with 24° of mechanical advance. I tried it at 5° static and got no change. The truck has only been here at 8000' and not changed elevations significantly, so I don't think that I'm dealing with a sudden change in MAP from baseline (other than the obvious throttle induced changes). I've put two other Snipers on vehicles that did just fine up here, however both were larger V8s. Not sure if that has any bearing on the discussion but it's worth noting I guess.

Change your Target A/F Ratio table from "Simple" to "2D" and setup a proper Target A/F Ratio table.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Fuel/Timing Table (and MAP kPa & RPM axes/scales) should be configured using the Sniper EFI software:
    In the Sniper EFI software (LINK), Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (Fuel ICF) & Base Timing Table (Spark ICF), select "2D Table" Type (not "Simple").
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Timing Table can then be properly configured & tuned for any engine.
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Sniper EFI Software & Holley 558-443 CAN/USB Dongle)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...679#post100679 (Sniper EFI Optional Comm/Data Cable Accessories)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Add a fuel pressure gauge in driver's view temporarily for testing. Gary
    Regards, Gary

So it clears up and runs fine once you get above a certain RPM? Just want to make sure it can’t be a vacuum or exhaust leak?
    What plug wires are you using? Is the Sniper +12V trigger pink wire on a relay? Is the Sniper wired directly to the battery?
    I'm grasping a bit, but the issues usually end up being electrical/wiring. When I get to my PC, I'll look at the datalog.

I’m sure you realize this, but every time you're run the Wizard you're losing all Learning.
    It can take a while for the system to get adjusted, and with you being at high elevation, I'd think it needs Learn time.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Quote Originally Posted by gregs69rs View Post
    I’m sure you realize this, but every time you're run the Wizard you're losing all Learning. It can take a while for the system to get adjusted...
    Yes, this is a bad habit. Most of the time, actual "tuning" should replace repeatedly initiating the Wizard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast