Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine goes lean during shifting & launching.

Default Engine goes lean during shifting & launching.

I have a 461 Olds with Terminator installed and have been driving it around to allow the ECU to Learn & such. One thing I have noticed is that it leans-out when shifting up at part-throttle. Happens all the time. Has never corrected via Learning.

Last night I went to the local track for the first time post-EFI. Made four passes. Every time I attempted to launch at full throttle the engine would lean-out VERY badly (AFR 25-35, and nearly stalled on 3rd pass), then injectors would start spraying fuel and the engine was happy.

I thought that I was datalogging during those passes, but no files were saved. Is it necessary to stop the datalogging before the key is turned off? If so, then I dropped the ball and never remembered to do that. I can post a Global File tomorrow. Sorry that I have no datalogs to assist with resolving this issue. My assumption is that I should at least increase the acceleration enrichment to compensate for the full-throttle lean condition. The up-shift lean condition I’m not too sure about.

Pay special attention to the center paragraph in blue print:
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Global File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Global File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Global File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Global File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog & System Log Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7OZUXLRS1Q (How To Record A System Log & Diagnose A No-Start Condition)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks, Danny. Will do. So do I need to manually stop the datalog recording before turning the key “off”?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue44deuce View Post
    Thanks, Danny. Will do.
    You're welcome.

So do I need to manually stop the datalog recording before turning the key “off”?
    Yes.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Here's the Config File. I'll try to get a datalog tomorrow if it doesn't rain. 10-12-19.zip

See post #2 above.

Noted. I plan to take the laptop with me to the track and datalog/tune while I’m there.

How do I decide whether to make an adjustment to the Base Fuel Table or to the acceleration enrichment graph?

When is it appropriate to do one or the other?

Also, why would I manually adjust the Base Fuel Table instead of the Learn Table?

How do I decide whether to make an adjustment to the Base Fuel Table or to the acceleration enrichment graph?
    Acceleration Enrichment can't be tuned until the Base Fuel Table is well tuned.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....1379#post61379 (AE Tuning Information)

Also, why would I manually adjust the Base Fuel Table instead of the Learn Table?
    The Learn Table is not adjusted, it's for reference only. Read this thread, that's what it's all about:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

Okay. So my engine goes extremely lean out of the hole when at the track. To the point of almost stalling. So I need to record a datalog of a run, Overlay with the Config File, find where the football/cursor moves to on the fuel map when the engine goes lean, and then...? Increase the numerical value in the cells on the Base Fuel Table that the cursor resides over while lean? By how much?

Considering that the TPS is moving from 0% to 100% as fast as possible when this condition occurs, then why is this a matter of tuning the Base Fuel Table as opposed to AE? Is it possible to resolve this lean condition by only modifying the Base Fuel Table?

I read the threads that you linked me to. But I’m new to this and trying to make sense of it all.
    Last edited by Blue44deuce; 10-19-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Okay. So my engine goes extremely lean out of the hole when at the track. To the point of almost stalling. So I need to record a datalog of a run, Overlay with the Config File, find where the football/cursor moves to on the fuel map when the engine goes lean, and then...? Increase the numerical value in the cells on the Base Fuel Table that the cursor resides over while lean? By how much?
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)

Considering that the TPS is moving from 0% to 100% as fast as possible when this condition occurs, then why is this a matter of tuning the Base Fuel Table as opposed to AE? Is it possible to resolve this lean condition by only modifying the Base Fuel Table?
    Because if the Base Fuel Table is too lean, then no amount of Acceleration Enrichment will properly resolve the lean condition. Also, the Holley TBI base calibrations have rich AE to begin with (LINK). In fact, when the Base Fuel Table is well tuned, a lot less AE is required.

I read the threads that you linked me to. But I’m new to this and trying to make sense of it all.
    Then you'll need someone to help you with this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast