Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I make a mistake?

Default Did I make a mistake?

Hey everyone looking for some direction. So I currently have my Sniper system up & running pretty well, the only hang up I have is WOT. My air/fuel looks pretty good to me and so do other parameters. However, this being my first rodeo, I'm not sure I'm not missing something. I guess I have one big question hopefully someone can answer. I bought the bigger Sniper EFI system to accommodate a larger engine later. Right now the current engine is a very mild piece and with the turbo only makes about 500-600 HP. I was concerned it would be borderline with the smaller system and definitely too small for future. However, what I find is at WOT the car won't pull, or if so it falls flat and gradually compensates. If you tip into it slowly then is seems to be fine, the only thing I notice is that if you go WOT instantly, then I take a hit down to 10.6 or so on AFR and as it starts to come back up then it smooths out. After that it follows my AFR pretty close at 11.4-11.6, but anytime it is WOT it just won't pull even if the AFR is correct. My concern after this, is that possibly it's too much airflow or injector for this engine at that low horsepower level? Or is it just a tune issue that I need figure out. Thanks for any help.

My guess is it's just a tune or mechanical issue. Can you post a Config File & datalog of some WOT time?
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Yes, let me figure out how and I'll do that.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    For further assistance, post your Config File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files can be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post ("Go Advanced" & "Attachments").
    Your Config File is in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Config Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Data Log" folder (.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHOtDNiTNA (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Sounds like you're adding too much AE fuel. If the mixture goes too rich during the pull then sometimes the engine just doesn't recover very well. Turn on your datalogger and make some quick blips of the throttle, and then go review the datalogs. You can Overlay the datalog on top of the Config File to see what's happening in the AE tables.

If the engine won't pull hard even if the AFR is correct, then you have some other problem. Perhaps the timing is wrong or you have weak valve springs or something like that.

Trying to attach DL files shows :error occurred Sniper DL file not valid. I don't believe it has anything to do mechanical as far as valve springs or valvetrain. Car ran fine before the installation, it also pulls no problem at 3/4 throttle. I do believe when it dips into the 10s on AFR it's an issue.

You have to zip the files before you can post them here.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Again, read post #4.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, lets see if this works. Config File.

Very possible on the AE, as I have not done anything with them yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That's a really interesting datalog. I've never seen one where when you stomp the loud pedal it actually DROPS in RPM and boost. I'm a boost guy, but not a turbo guy, so take what I say with a little bit of a grain of salt, but here's what I noticed:

1) When you go into boost you're pulling a ton of timing. It drops as low as 21.8 at one point. Is that on purpose? The lower timing also seems to be leading to loss of boost. Again, not a turbo guy myself, but don't they like a little timing to spool up? It looks like you're losing spool and therefor power & RPM.
    2) When I look at your Base Timing Table you have very little area in the table for boost conditions. It really looks like an N/A table, but with just the top two rows for boost. It makes it hard to dial in your timing curve this way. I recommend that you click the button at the top of the spark Base Timing Table that says "Copy Fuel Axes". You have a nice MAP axis in fuel so change your spark to match. You'll need to completely redo the spark table though so be sure to do that before you drive the car. What total timing did your carb setup like? 24° just seems a little low.
    3) Your Base Fuel Table is low. The Closed Loop Comp is adding a ton of fuel, which is fine as it will Learn eventually, but to speed up the process and avoid catastrophe if it jumps to Open Loop at WOT, you may want to manually add some fuel where needed. Let the CL Comp values dictate how much fuel to manually add. I'd recommend you Transfer Learn To Base first and not smooth it.

What is your engine combo?
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast