Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throttle Sticking

Default Throttle Sticking

Over the past couple days, my throttle has been sticking. If I give it a quick tap on the pedal, it will free it up. The Sniper is performing very well other than that and the idle fluctuating up & down. Any ideas on what may be causing this?

Ensure a throttle blade isn't binding in the bore.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Will do. If it is, what needs to be done to cure it?

Please determine what's sticking first, then I'll post the appropriate course of action. FYI: You'll have to remove the air filter & accelerator cable/linkage, and manually work the throttle lever by hand while looking down the throttle bores (engine off).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by mixman98 View Post
    Over the past couple days, my throttle has been sticking. If I give it a quick tap on the pedal, it will free it up. The Sniper is performing very well other than that and the idle fluctuating up & down. Any ideas on what may be causing this?
    I just spent a year troubleshooting the same problem! Could never duplicate in the shop. Finally was able to pull over when it happened, pop the air cleaner and view the butterflies stuck open slightly. Holley replaced the entire Sniper for me last month, problem fixed.

Odd thing is, this started kind of suddenly. With all of my linkage unhooked and working the throttle manually, I can feel the butterflies sticking. Sounds like the same issue you had B767.

Depending on your spacers & gaskets, the base could warp slightly when it gets hot. You may want to loosen all four corners, check for any rocking, and then tighten in a criss-cross pattern in three steps. Can't hurt to try.

I have the same exact problem. I run the system in my old Jeep rockcrawler and if I let it sit for a few days, the throttle is hard to push to break it free. Occasionally while driving The throttle would stick, actually both butterflies would be slightly opened and not closing leaving the engine to idle around 1200 to 1500 RPM. A quick snap on the pedal would fix the issue. What I've done and it's very crappy, is I had to install a return spring on the secondaries. It sucks now because my throttle is harder to push, which is not good for a rockcrawler.

Common issue on 4150 flange carbs or throttle bodies, with tight fitting shafts, and thicker gaskets which can allow uneven torque on the carb studs. Shafts can bind once the body has warped. Less common with sloppy shafts or vacuum secondary carbs. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Has anyone tried disconnecting the throttle cable and verifying where the source of binding is coming from? Typically cables and linkages would bind before butterflies would. Unless the whole setup from the gas pedal to the throttle body is brand spanking new. My money is on a sticky cable or faulty linkage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast