Thread: New 1.0.102 software/firmware.

Default New 1.0.102 software/firmware.

Looks like Holley has released new software & firmware for the Terminator X family, as a follow-up to the release of the "universal" kits over the last week or two. This update supposedly fixes a bug I reported regarding X-axis scaling for IAT/ECT, as well as some other issue related to MAP scaling. It also adds presets for a handful of new MAP sensors, the "high flow" dual BCS, and support for other common ignition timing systems (like 36-1 & 60-2 timing reluctors, common on a wide variety of engines).

I was able to install the firmware, but I hit some headaches along the way. For context, I'm NOT using my 3.5" touchscreen. I'm using a 7" Digital Dash and a CAN-to-USB cable, tuning via the Terminator X software on my laptop.

1. The new software refuses to do anything other than download the existing calibration from the ECU, until the firmware is updated to a supported revision. It IS necessary to make a backup of your currently-loaded calibration, because flashing a firmware update clears all of that.
    2. When you start a firmware update, it sets the ECU "Offline". This seems to persist across key cycles, and there is no obvious way to manually bring it "online" again, other than successfully finishing a firmware update. Setting the ECU "offline" shuts off the data stream to the digital dash, disables all of the inputs and outputs that actually run the engine, etc.
    3. As I mentioned, I'm using a CAN-To-USB adapter daisy-chained through the Digital Dash. In my case, what happened was that the ECU went Offline, but I was NOT able to get the new firmware loaded. It kept timing out. Note that the ECU was Offline after this, so the car was immobilized.
    4. I assumed that the dash was somehow interfering (maybe trying to reconnect to the ECU), so I had to fish around for the cable that the dash was plugged into, disconnect the dash, and plug my CAN-to-USB cable into it directly.
    5. I restarted the flash procedure, and then it managed to lose connection halfway through writing. Maybe I didn't seat the cable correctly?
    6. I key-cycled again, tried again, and was able to successfully finish the update. After reloading my calibration onto the ECU, I was able to start and run the car again.

If this experience is typical, Holley REALLY needs to remind people NOT to attempt the update when daisy-chained through a Digital Dash. I got it updated and working again, but that was nerve-wracking. On the upside, at least the ECU recovers gracefully from an incomplete flash, but wow.

I've always updated my Holley Dominator ECU with my Digital Dash & 3.5" TSLCD connected.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Doesn't the Dominator have its own dedicated USB port, though? On the Terminator X/Max, the only way to "talk" to the ECU is through a single CAN Bus connection, and bandwidth is pretty limited*. That thing did NOT want to accept the updated firmware until my CAN-To-USB cable was the only device on the chain. It was pretty nerve-wracking.

*It took about 2.5 minutes to push a 700KB firmware update once I got everything sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by lemming View Post
    Doesn't the Dominator have its own dedicated USB port, though?
    Yes, it does. The Dominator ECU can also communicate & update through the CAN Bus with the V5 update:
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...672#post215672 (Related Forum Post)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

As I said, I'm back up & running, but I just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone else hits similar problems; that was far more excitement than I wanted.

Other than some bug fixes and support for some new sensor types, there's not much in this package that would make this a required update for someone who is just using the 3.5" TSLCD to run one of the original LS swap applications the Terminator X & Max initially supported. Because of how Holley seems to handle firmware updates, those who are using a laptop and CAN-To-USB adapter are going to be forced to update their firmware eventually (since Holley only seems to keep the latest software version on the website).

The firmware does seem to offer some features that will broaden support for configurations other than the initial LS swap applications the first round of kits supported. Poking around in the software, I can see support for a decent collection of non-LS ignition types, including 36-1 & 60-2 reluctor wheels, Ford TFI, and various distributor setups. I can also see that the Ford AODE/4R70W transmissions are now supported, as are a handful of Ford DBW throttles and one random Nissan DBW throttle. It seems like you could now use one of these ECUs to run most "traditional" Ford & Chevy pushrod engines, and maybe some varieties of Ford Modular engines too. Interesting stuff.

Thanks for a well written update. I'm glad you were eventually successful.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)

I got lucky, I have the 3.5" TSLCD, 7" Digital Dash and USB To CAN cable plugged in and the update went fine. I will in the future unplug the extra stuff, isn't worth the risk if others are having issues.