Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Datalog Sniper Timing

Default First Datalog Sniper Timing

Hello. I wonder if someone could tell me how to understand the timing datalog on my Sniper. I've only ran the engine at this point, no drive time as I've been battling other mechanical issues. I wanted to be sure my car and engine were dialed in perfectly. Primarily just some cooling & exhaust issues that I've now corrected. Anyways, it seems like it's ready for a road test. However, looking at the timing graph I was a bit surprised to see such an ugly unit of measure. I assumed that a good graph/table should be smooth-ish and rounded. Looking at the timing it looks very. Not sure how to put it, uneven. It appears to be an L shape vs nice smooth hill. Looking at everything the timing seems to me to be the only questionable area. It runs great at idle, starts up nice. Would like to learn more about reading these tables and so I can self diagnose better. I appreciate any input, whatever you can do to help I'll be sure to share the knowledge. Sniper Log 20191007-184636.zip

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	8797 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sniper.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	8798 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	8799 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	8800

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Fuel/Timing Table (and MAP kPa & RPM axes/scales) should be configured using the Sniper EFI software:
    In the Sniper EFI software (LINK), Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (Fuel ICF) & Base Timing Table (Spark ICF), select "2D Table" Type (not "Simple").
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Timing Table can then be properly configured & tuned for any engine.
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Sniper EFI Software & Holley 558-443 CAN/USB Dongle)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...679#post100679 (Sniper EFI Optional Comm/Data Cable Accessories)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

So set the Fuel ICF and Spark ICF to “not simple” in the 2D Table? What exactly does this parameter do?

Please read my post #2 again, when you're viewing the Sniper EFI software.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I verified that both spark & fuel are set to Simple. This was done by default.

Is there a way to view datalogs with the 2D graph opposed to the regular datalogger format? Basically just shows data using lines.

Yes, open up the Config File and datalog at the same time. Select "Overlay" in the config menu, and then you'll see a 'bubble' in the various config tables that's showing the data points from the datalog.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Config File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley Sniper EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Config File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Config File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Config File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)

Thank you. I found this very helpful. I have it set up so it's Overlayed and I have both screens up, Config File & datalog. I see the movement on the Config File now. Is there a way to set it so it plays it back? Kinda like live datalog footage?

Quote Originally Posted by 84capri View Post
    Thank you. I found this very helpful.
    You're welcome.

Is there a way to set it so it plays it back? Kinda like live datalog footage?
    Read the 3rd paragraph in post #7.

I think what I'm trying to say, is there a way to select the datalog and make it play the entire run on the Config File automatically. I do have it set where I can select areas of the datalog and see that shadow over on the Config File. Not sure if we're only limited to scrolling one cell at a time basically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast