Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holley Sniper HyperSpark phasing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I've installed more than a dozen HyperSpark setups. You drop them in, hook them up and turn the key.
    Then check the ignition timing synchronization with a timing light.
    See page 53, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)
    See page 18, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Help Manual - EFI Software, Tuning & Datalogging)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by dccorvettes View Post
    Yes, I have HyperSpark selected in menu. I have the Sniper ECU timing control disabled. Idles at a fixed selected timing at idle.
    So what I'm looking for is the dimensions of the shutter wheel in the HyperSpark distributor the window dimension and the vane dimension. This would be for a Chevy small block.
    You are waaaaay over-complicating this. There are some great videos of the HyperSpark installation out there. I think you might have the plastic phasing cap on 180° out. It will drop on like this, but it's not correct. It should fit tight/perfect when dropped on correctly. If this isn't the case, then I'm not sure what you've done and I'd suggest starting completely over. Turn the engine over to and verify #1 is TDC. Drop the HyperSpark in the hole like you would any distributor. With the rotor pointing approximately at #1. Follow the instructions.

You guys just make it worse by repeatedly stating your instructions. The objective is for him to read the HyperSpark distributor instructions, not further enabling him not to.
    https://documents.holley.com/199r11525.pdf (Holley 565-300 HyperSpark Distributor Instruction Manual)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm using HyperSpark as intended. I just have idle timing control shut off because it's jumping from -5° to 25° to keep idle smooth. I just shut it off for now till phasing issue is resolved. I agree should be easy setup. I've tuned many Chevys and rebuilt many distributors with no issues. I have followed the video and instructions and I agree in should phase as advertised. The reason I'm asking about the shutter wheel is in my brain I feel there is something else making this timing so far off. Maybe distributor issue maybe ECU I don't no. I'm more than confident that I have the engine setup correctly at 15° BTDC.

Quote Originally Posted by dccorvettes View Post
    I just have idle timing control shut off because it's jumping from -5° to 25° to keep idle smooth.
    That's the Idle Spark control. It should be temporarily disabled (Idle ICF) to check the ignition timing synchronization with a timing light.

Yes, that's what I disabled, Idle Spark control.

If you clicked "Save" and cycled the ignition switch off/on, then I don't know what's wrong. There was one distributor case with a defective HyperSpark Hall-Effect sensor, so you might want to contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).

Holley is sending another distributor. I'll update results.

OK, here's an update on my issue. I did install a new timing chain to fix 10° slop in chain. So when I installed the new HyperSpark distributor from Holley, exactly by the instructions using the supplied tool, I had the same 44° reading. But this time I only have to rotate distributor a short amount to achieve the correct timing, so finally my HyperSpark is in sync. Now I still had to set timing in the 3.5" handheld to 6° BTDC to get a smooth idle, and when I try to accel in neutral it will pop out exhaust at about 2200 RPM. I noticed there's no timing advance coming in till 2000 RPM and then it all comes in at once. So where I am now is getting setup to watch and tune via laptop,, which is new to me and see what's going on or may send car to a tuner.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Fuel/Timing Table (and MAP kPa & RPM axes/scales) should be configured using the Sniper EFI software:
    In the Sniper EFI software (LINK), Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table (Fuel ICF) & Base Timing Table (Spark ICF), select "2D Table" Type (not "Simple").
    The Target Air/Fuel Ratio Table & Base Timing Table can then be properly configured & tuned for any engine.
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Sniper EFI Software & Holley 558-443 CAN/USB Dongle)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...679#post100679 (Sniper EFI Optional Comm/Data Cable Accessories)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast