Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holley Sniper HyperSpark phasing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by dccorvettes View Post
    OK, here's an update on my issue. I did install a new timing chain to fix 10° slop in chain. So when I installed the new HyperSpark distributor from Holley, exactly by the instructions using the supplied tool, I had the same 44° reading. But this time I only have to rotate distributor a short amount to achieve the correct timing, so finally my HyperSpark is in sync. Now I still had to set timing in the 3.5" handheld to 6° BTDC to get a smooth idle, and when I try to accel in neutral it will pop out exhaust at about 2200 RPM. I noticed there's no timing advance coming in till 2000 RPM and then it all comes in at once. So where I am now is getting setup to watch and tune via laptop,, which is new to me and see what's going on or may send car to a tuner.
    Bad timing chain, I didn't think of that one. I guess I always assume the engine is in good mechanical condition when answering questions, but that isn't a good assumption.

Sounds like your timing map is bad. The timing map that the Wizard makes isn't really very good, so using a laptop or desktop computer is the best way. You can pop the SD card out of the handheld and put it in your desktop computer and modify the tune there, rather than buy the cable and use the laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Sounds like your timing map is bad. The timing map that the Wizard makes isn't really very good, so using a laptop or desktop computer is the best way. You can pop the SD card out of the handheld and put it in your desktop computer and modify the tune there, rather than buy the cable and use the laptop.
    Yep, see post #20 above.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, here's an update on my issue. I did install a new timing chain to fix 10° slop in chain. So when I installed the new HyperSpark distributor from Holley, exactly by the instructions using the supplied tool, I had the same 44° reading. But this time I only have to rotate distributor a short amount to achieve the correct timing, so finally my HyperSpark is in sync. Now I still had to set timing in the 3.5" handheld to 6° BTDC to get a smooth idle, and when I try to accel in neutral it will pop out exhaust at about 2200 RPM. I noticed there's no timing advance coming in till 2000 RPM and then it all comes in at once. So where I am now is getting setup to watch and tune via laptop,, which is new to me and see what's going on or may send car to a tuner.
    10° is a fair amount of stretch. Is your new chain set nice & tight now? Has your block main saddle been line bored? If it has, you need a line bore chain set, according to the amount the crank has been moved by. Can't have a sloppy chain. Gary
    Regards, Gary

This is a Vortech GM iron head crate engine from maybe 1995 with low miles. I ordered the GM parts to replace chain set and they were just as loose if not worse. So I contacted Cloyes and they sent a set that solved the issue. I can now phase the HyperSpark, but still strange to me that I need 6° BTDC to get smooth idle if I increase to say 25° BTDC engine stalls and will not run.

When you say "phase", are you referring to ignition timing synchronization?
    Is the ignition timing synchronized with the ECU?
    Are the damper marking correctly positioned at TDC?
    Check the ignition timing synchronization with a timing light.
    See page 53, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)
    See page 18, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Help Manual - EFI Software, Tuning & Datalogging)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, here's an update on my issue. I did install a new timing chain to fix 10° slop in chain.
    If you have 10° slope in chain you have a big problem. I was degreeing my cam, so I decided to put the old chain back on and check to see how much a stretched chain was off by. I got 1° difference on a chain that had 300,000 KM on it.

Cloyes fixed him up, and he says the issue is resolved. Cloyes has "undersized" timing chain sets for align-honed engine blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Cloyes fixed him up, and he says the issue is resolved. Cloyes has "undersized" timing chain sets for align-honed engine blocks.
    Sorry, the point I was trying to make is, if things were off by 10° he may have a problem other than his timing chain. For it to be a timing chain causing 10° of error, the chain would have to be soo loose it would fall off.

Yes, timing is now in sync with the ECU.
    UPDATE: To get this to stop backfiring, I had to reduce the timing to 27° for cruise & 27° for WOT. I think I need a tuner.
    Last edited by dccorvettes; 11-06-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123