Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sniper popping & backfiring under light load, also headers glowing.

Quote Originally Posted by apcook90 View Post
    I thought I had my timing all checked out and ready to go. However, that couldn't have been further from the truth.
    I'm not being judgemental, but what caused you to incorrectly perform the ignition timing synchronization? I'm asking because it seems to be a common installation error, so I'd like to know if the instruction manual is being misinterpreted, or this segment of the manual is being skipped over:
    See page 53, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/199r11031r.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Instruction Manual)
    See page 18, "Static Timing Set": http://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11259.pdf (Holley Sniper EFI Help Manual - EFI Software, Tuning & Datalogging)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

@Danny Cabral: The manual isn't the issue at all, it's very well written and easy to follow. This whole debacle is 110% my own fault for not completing that step. This whole installation has been going on for over a month, along with a new wiring harness front to rear and a new brake system. So it must have gotten lost in translation one day when I started work on something else and then went back to the EFI.

OK, I understand. Thanks.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I think Holley could save themselves some grief if the put CHECK TIMING WITH TIMING LIGHT in bold as the first step after the engine has been fired up. It's always the very first thing we do on the dyno with every EFI installation. The timing light is attached to the engine before firing and then as soon as it's running, we check the timing. Even when the distributor is installed using the LED lights (dual sync) the timing still needs to be checked.

I can't even imagine not having a timing light connected for the first engine start...EFI or Carbureted! This should be an instinctive mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    I think Holley could save themselves some grief if the put CHECK TIMING WITH TIMING LIGHT in bold as the first step after the engine has been fired up. It's always the very first thing we do on the dyno with every EFI installation. The timing light is attached to the engine before firing and then as soon as it's running, we check the timing. Even when the distributor is installed using the LED lights (dual sync) the timing still needs to be checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I can't even imagine not having a timing light connected for the first engine start...EFI or Carbureted! This should be an instinctive mindset.
    Yes, a "must have". Glad others do this. I've had friends say, "I'm ready for a startup." I say, "Have you got a timing light?" Sometimes a dumb look or no, so I say, "You're not ready for a startup!" Gary
    Last edited by Gaz64; 10-03-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    Regards, Gary

Gary, don't get me started. Please don't even mention things like "tuning by ear". Ugh!

Gary, don't get me started. Please don't even mention things like "tuning by ear". Ugh!
    That's long long gone, LOL.
    Regards, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
    That's long long gone, LOL.
    You guys are funny and I couldn't agree more.

These things are advertised as "self-tuning". So why would the majority of people using this type of system even think to use a timing light?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast