Thread: Help needed configuring used Sniper unit.

Default Help needed configuring used Sniper unit.

I have a good running Sniper on my car. I've had problems before that stranded me and I wanted to avoid that again in the future. So I bought another Sniper TB to keep in my trunk for long trips. If the unit on my car puked again I could plop on the other one and get home :-) > The "new to me" unit came from a good running car. I know I need to load my Config File into the ECU on the "new" unit. I thought it would be easy to hook it up, transfer Config File from my laptop to the ECU and be good to go. Well, when I tried that today, I got error messages saying the firmware needed to be updated on the "new" unit. I picked the update firmware from a drop down menu, picked the file named SNIPER_01010160.eep and hit enter. It looked like it was doing it when I got an Error message about a communication error. I hit retry and got another error [29] saying to cycle the power and try again. When I did I get the same error. Here are screenshots from the laptop of the errors. What do I do next? How do I update the firmware on the "new" Sniper? Thanks, Danford1

UPDATE: I downloaded the firmware from Holley to the SD card using my computer as per this link: https://www.efisystempro.com/efi-pro...niper-firmware. I installed SD card into handheld. Updated the handheld firmware, but now handheld shows "Searching For ECU", but never finds it. When I go to monitors to see my engine vitals it says No Data in all the cells. I can't update the ECU because it can't find it. :-(
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper error 1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	8774 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper error 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	8775 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper error 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	8776 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sniper error 4.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	8777
    Last edited by danford1; 09-30-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Sounds like your used unit locked up when you tried to upgrade the FW. You might be able to recover it after letting it sit unpowered for a couple of hours. If that doesn't work you might need to send it in to Holley for a reflash. Upgrading the firmware in one of these Holley units is always a bit of a gamble. I've had multiple devices lock up on me. I think my overall average is about 1 in 10 lock up during an upgrade.

Yep, it locked up. I talked to a very nice and polite Holley tech. He said send it in and then will fix it free as it happened on a firmware update and nothing I did wrong. I have it boxed up and will send it tomorrow.

I shipped it to Holley last Friday and got it back today (Friday). I installed in on my car, downloaded my Config File and got it running. :-) Thank you Holley for fixing it. Danford1

Do you think it came with corrupted firmware or was it just your bad luck? Let us know how your Config File works in a different unit. In a perfect world it should work the same. I'd put a few miles on it to be sure.

I'm sure it was just my bad luck. :-) Before I tried to start the car after installing the used unit, I downloaded the Config File that was on it to my laptop. It downloaded fine and I was able to view it. But when I tried to upload my Config File is when the errors appeared. I drove the car a lot today and all seems just fine. It runs the same and perhaps just my perception, but it feels stronger. I haven't hooked up my fuel pressure tester yet. It runs well so I think I'll just leave things alone and drive it. I can use my original TB for the spare. So far I'm happy with the used unit. Danford1