Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help With No Start

Below is a diagram of the way my injector & ignition harnesses are pinned. I identified the wires coming in/out of the injector and ignition plugs. I haven't repinned anything from either the 558-117 harness or the 558-431. Please let me know if I need to. I also have the same information for the coil pack plugs and can post that. I'm also wondering if my Firing Order should be something other than the standard 13726548 SBF Firing Order.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10 Pin Map.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	8723
    Last edited by JasonSBF; 09-19-2019 at 02:52 PM.

I'm trying to do the ignition verification sequence. I keep reading that pin B21 has to go to the coil for #1 cylinder. So far so good. I trace B21 in the 117 wiring schematic, it's a yellow and white wire and goes to cavity G of the plug labeled “1357 IGN” which is on the opposite side of the motor for a Ford.

The corresponding cavity G in the coil connector (on the 556-128 coil sub-harness) is a Pink wire that traces to the coil plug labeled Ford 4/GM 8. So my understanding is that when the ECU tells Coil #1 to fire via pin B21, coil #4 is actually firing. Am I misunderstanding this?

Next in the verification sequence, it says B15 goes to the coil for cylinder 2. But pin B15 from the P1B traces to cavity B of the plug labeled “2468 IGN” (which is on the opposite side of the motor from B21 - but same side as CYL #1 on a Ford). The corresponding cavity B on the coil connector is a green wire that traces to the plug marked Ford1/GM2.

Any insight or am I misunderstanding the verification sequence. Thanks.

Perform this ignition timing cylinder sequence verification/synchronization:
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Ignition Timing Cylinder Sequence Verification
    Ensure the Firing Order is entered correctly in Ignition Parameters (System ICF).
    Before the initial start, disconnect the fuel injector harness and verify
    at least, the first four cylinders in the firing order using a timing light.
    If your cylinders are firing in 90° intervals BUT in the wrong sequence,
    the coil harness is connected wrong (at the ECU or at the coil packs).
    Hopefully you have a fully degreed balancer or at least markings every 90°:
    1st cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - add whatever your cranking timing is)
    2nd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    3rd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    4th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    5th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - cranking timing added)
    6th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    7th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    8th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Wanted to give an update on this thread. Finally got the car running. Danny, I followed your ignition verification sequence and the first 4 in the Firing Order checked out. I did that only after I finished the pin verification in my previous post, where B21 is always cylinder #1, B15-cylinder #2, B22-cylinder #3, B16-cylinder #4, and so on. That verification led me to find out the main harness I was sold was not the right harness. Long story short, a Holley rep gave me bad info and told me to buy the wrong harness (and I had email proof). Holley quickly stepped up, warrantied the wrong harness, and sent me the right harness. Thank you, Holley!

The new harness is in and the car runs. However, it will only run in Digital Rising for both crank & cam. I know it needs to be in Digital Falling and thought I had set the sensors up in Digital Falling. I've read numerous threads on here and haven't gotten much so let me ask again. See the attached pic with the engine at 50° BTDC. The red line represents the halfway mark of the 554-118 sensor. The blue line is the leading edge (Digital Rising?) of the magnet. The green edge is the trailing edge (Digital Falling?) of the magnet. I moved the sensor so the red line lines up with the green line and believed this to be Digital Falling. But it only runs in Digital Rising. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6700.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	8755

Quote Originally Posted by JasonSBF View Post
    ...and believed this to be Digital Falling. But it only runs in Digital Rising. What am I doing wrong?
    The only physical difference between Digital Rising & Digital Falling is the width of the magnet or tooth (¼"-⅜"). A simple sensor adjustment will synchronize that timing discrepancy. If it doesn't run at all, then something else is wrong and it's probably this: http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...0#post26386690 (Incorrect Digital Falling Signals - 4x Crank & 1x Cam)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks, I'll tinker some more and report back. Thank you, Danny.

Finally got the car to run in Digital Falling. I'll share what I did so hopefully the next person who runs into this problem can remedy their problem in shorter time than it took me. With the engine at 50° BTDC and a crank reference angle of 50° in the software, the magnet on the wheel needs to point towards the upper half of the crank sensor. Essentially rotate the sensor down towards the ground to just before the magnet passes it. Lock down crank sensor. Then turn the engine CCW to 185° BTDC. Put cam sync in, adjust so the light is off at 185°, but comes back on at 180°. Lock down cam sync. Once I accomplished both, the car ran in Digital FALLING.

Sorting this whole ordeal out took significantly longer than it should have because I was originally sent a main harness that was not pinned for a SBF firing order to the coil sub-harnesses.
    Last edited by JasonSBF; 10-02-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12