Thread: Switched power to ignition coil.

Default Switched power to ignition coil.

The illustration for the ignition (Commander 950 Pro to GM HEI Ignition Using Computer Controlled Distributor, External Coil) shows the "Switched Power" and the "red" wire connected to the (+) side of the coil and the "C (white)" wire going to the (-) side of the coil. The two wire harness included in my Commander 950 has both the white and red wire connected to the (-) side. The connector is keyed so sides cannot be changed. My guess is it's supposed to be like the illustration.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes, the red/white wire is always the switched/keyed +12V wire. Follow the C950 wiring diagram.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

The wiring connector attaches both the white & red wire (coming from the distributor) connected to the − side. Take a look at the attached PDF the red wire is attached to the + side of the coil and the the white wire is attached to the - side of the coil. To do that the harness would have 2 connectors (not 1).
    Last edited by BBshark; 09-16-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBshark View Post
    The wiring diagram shows both the white & red wire (coming from the distributor) connected to the − side.
    No it does not!

Take a look at the attached PDF.
    Enlarge/zoom in on page 105 and look at it closely: https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_r10149-7.pdf (Commander 950 Tuning Manual)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

???? Page 105 shows: The wiring connector attaches both the white & red wire (coming from the distributor) connected to the − side. Take a look at the attached PDF, the red wire is attached to the + side of the coil and the the white wire is attached to the − side of the coil. To do that, the harness would have two connectors (not 1). Again, the both wires attach to the − side (using the connector supplied).

Quote Originally Posted by BBshark View Post
    Take a look at the attached PDF, the red wire is attached to the + side of the coil and the the white wire is attached to the − side of the coil.
    Yes, that's what I'm seeing too. I'm only looking at page 105 of the Commander 950 Tuning Manual.

I think we're both in agreement about what the manual shows on page 105. The PDF I posted and the manual you posted are exactly the same. My issue is that the parts (2-wire connector) do not allow me to connect the coil as shown in the diagram.

The harness supplied with the C950 has two wires. The end that connects to the distributor is a single two position connector. The end that connects to the coil is a single two position connector that is keyed so that they both connect to the - (right) side of the coil.

The page 105 diagram has the white wire attached to the - side and the red wire attached to the + side. In order to wire it this way, there should be two connectors that connect to the coil, one right and one left. Again the two wire harness is keyed so that it connects both wires to the - (right) side of the coil.

After a lot of time looking around the internet, I found the wiring for the coil! Apparently the problem is that the + & - are not left and right (as shown in the pg 105 illustration, The + & - are front to back. So that means the illustration is wrong and the harness is right.
    HEI 8.pdf