Thread: Warm-Up Time

Default Warm-Up Time

Hello all. I'm a new forum member. I have a 1965 Ford Thunderbird with a 390. My mechanic installed a Holley 600 CFM carb last year. The car never ran so well in the seven years I've her. She starts real easy and after warm-up runs great. After startup and bump the gas pedal to take it off high idle, it seems to take about five minutes to come down to idle. Should it take that long and should I adjust the choke? Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like it's on the last step of the fast idle cam.
    As with any fast idle cam, the carb will only come off the step when the throttle is moved.
    It may only move back one step.
    If you're driving for five minutes, and it still seems high, then either the choke might need to be backed off.
    Check the red or white fast idle cam is free to move on it's shaft. Gary
    Regards, Gary

The car comes off high idle after a minute or so after I hit the gas pedal. But then takes about 4 or 5 minutes to get down to normal idle. It comes down to idle in that time and drives fine, but my question is should it take that long or is 4 or 5 minutes normal? Thanks.

Is this a hot air choke, or electric?
    4-5 minutes or normal driving is a bit long.
    I'd expect about 1 minute. Gary
    Regards, Gary

It's an electric choke. I let it warm up till she idles down before I drive. Do you think I should adjust the choke? Thanks Gary.

I'd back off the choke one notch and reassess at next cold start. Also, ensure you are using full +12V ignition supply and not from an ignition coil ballast resistance feed. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Backing off would be turning the cap to the right for a shorter warm up time? Is that right? I'll check voltage too, it's wired to the alternator so that should be +12V. Thanks again Gary.

Yes, turn clockwise in the lean direction. Gary
    Regards, Gary

Smile

So I took the T-Bird out today. She started right up and the first kickdown was quick. Then I timed how long to kickdown to idle. Took 2 1/2 minutes on an 80°F day. Maybe shorter then I thought, so I'm going to leave alone. I guess if it's not broke, don't fix it. Thanks for your input Gary.

Sounds like you have a happy result. Gary
    Regards, Gary