Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Block Chevy HP EFI CNP

Default Big Block Chevy HP EFI CNP

I'm in the process of wiring up my HP EFI with a CNP ignition and I need some guidance on the wiring. This is what I have:
    550-838 HP EFI (I replaced the Holley single-plane intake with a Hogan intake so I could keep it under the hood)
    112-583 105 mm Throttle Body
    565-200 Dual-Sync Distributor with the 566-103 blank cap.
    556-128 Smart Coil Kit.
    558-307 Universal Ignition Harness.

The engine is on a test stand I built, so I can get it running and figure out the mess of wiring before I install it. My main question is how do I wire the coil harness into the EFI harness? In the pic, you can see the two loops of wires from the coils. There is a lot of ignition info in the EFI instructions, but this particular arrangement isn't addressed. Speaking of wires, the plug wires are what I had laying around and once I figure out where the coils will be mounted in the car, I'll build new plug wires. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HL.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	8644
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

You have to wire them to the J1B connector: https://documents.holley.com/199r10515rev3.pdf

The Holley 558-307 CNP main harness has terminals attached on the nine loose wires for connecting into the J1B ECU connector. Here's the instructions (LINK).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-For-CNP-Coils (Related Forum Thread)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Timjus View Post
    You have to wire them to the J1B connector: https://documents.holley.com/199r10515rev3.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The Holley 558-307 CNP main harness has terminals attached on the nine loose wires for connecting into the J1B ECU connector. Here's the instructions (LINK).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...-For-CNP-Coils (Related Forum Thread)
    Thank you for the info, I appreciate it very much!
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

I have the coil harness wired into the J1B ECU connector, wasn't as complicated as I thought. Following the instructions, I attached my timing light to compare actual timing with what's I have programed. Unfortunately, I have no spark. So I reread some threads including my own in which Danny responded and included this link: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...3038#post33038 (Detailed Crank Trigger & CNP/DIS Conversion Information & Reasoning). After reading through that thread, apparently I need to have a CD ignition box to make this work. In the above thread, it says:

FYI: Holley EFI now sells their own Dual Sync Hall-Effect distributors (LINK).
    They're a small cap design, "plug & play" with Holley EFI, and no need for a modified Firing Order.
    The crank & cam sensor signals also provide sequential injection capability (MPFI applications).
    It's "plug & play" (into the 10-pin ignition connector on the EFI Main Harness) and requires a CD
    ignition box (Instructions). The MSD 6201 Digital 6A CDI box & 8253 HVC-2 coil are a great match.
    The MSD CD ignition box is wired as shown in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Figure 11, Page 20)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7r-DauCak (Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor - YouTube Tech Video)
    A blank cap (LINK) is available, if the user decides to convert to Coil-Near-Plug/DIS later (no CDI box).
    Of course, this component can also be used as a crank and/or cam sync/oil pump drive unit.

The Custom Ignition Parameters (in System Parameters) for the Holley EFI Dual Sync Distributor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire"
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling"
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" (← Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" (← Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" (← "Not Used" for TBI, unless CNP ignition.)
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "Points Output" (← CDI box ground trigger.)
    Dwell Time ................. ― "2.0 msec" (← Do not set this to 1.5 msec!)

Then the line in blue, says if CNP, no CDI box. So then I don't need a CDI box? I made sure my Ignition Parameters matched above too. Any suggestions why I'm not getting spark? Thanks.
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by yelcamino View Post
    After reading through that thread, apparently I need to have a CD ignition box to make this work. In the above thread, it says:
    No! The CD ignition box is for the Dual Sync Distributor without Coil-Near-Plug ignition.

Then the line in blue, says if CNP, no CDI box. So then I don't need a CDI box?
    Of course not! Distributorless/multiple coil ignition systems (DIS/CNP/COP) don't use CD ignition boxes.

I made sure my Ignition Parameters matched above too. Any suggestions why I'm not getting spark? Thanks.
    Well that's why you have no spark! The Custom Ignition Parameters are programmed wrong.

Holley CNP/LSx Coils & Holley Dual Sync Distributor Custom Ignition Parameters:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ...... ― "1 Pulse/Fire" (← Holley Dual Sync Distributor)
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "100.0 usec" ( Synchronization info, adjusted per application.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50°" ( Inherent rotor-phasing of this unit.)
    Cam Sensor ............... ― "Single Pulse" (← Sequential injection & CNP ignition.)
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← Holley CNP Smart Coils.)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "4.0-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 1 - LINK.)

LSx Ignition Coils:
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← GM LSx ignition coils.)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "3.5-5.0 msec" (← Read end of page 3 - LINK.)

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Ignition Timing Cylinder Sequence Verification
    Ensure the Firing Order is entered correctly in Ignition Parameters (System ICF).
    Before the initial start, disconnect the fuel injector harness and verify
    at least, the first four cylinders in the firing order using a timing light.
    If your cylinders are firing in 90° intervals BUT in the wrong sequence,
    the coil harness is connected wrong (at the ECU or at the coil packs).
    Hopefully you have a fully degreed balancer or at least markings every 90°:
    1st cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - add whatever your cranking timing is)
    2nd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    3rd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    4th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    5th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - cranking timing added)
    6th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    7th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    8th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I'll go make the changes and see what happens. Thanks again!
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

I updated the programing. Attempted to check the timing with the timing light and still no spark. I then checked all my wiring to make sure everything was connected correctly. Just out of curiosity, I reconnected the injector harness and hit the starter button, it ran for about 1-2 seconds, or I imagined it! Now I'm back to still no spark.
    Herb
    '66 El Camino, 408LS/T56
    '66 Chevelle, 509/T56
    '63 C10, 454/4L80E

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5760#post45760 (Scroll down to "Typical No-Start Checks".)

It's running. I read through the Typical No-Start Checks and I ended up opening the throttle blade more and doing a TPS Autoset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast