Thread: 24x/4x 558-103 Question

Default 24x/4x 558-103 Question

Hi all. New to Holley EFI and come from a N/A Carb drag racing background. Currently building an engine that I thought was going to be 58x/4x, but when the crank arrived it has come as 24x. I have a 558-103 loom which is 58x/4x. I have done a lot of reading here and watch both Holley and Devons YouTube videos, but I still have a couple of questions. No Problems on the Cam side as I'm running a 4x Timing Chain. Question I have is based around the crank sensor. I believe I will be able to use the same connector on the loom to plug into the 24x sensor on the block, however, either the male or female plug might need a rib trimmed to allow it to fit. Wiring between the two plugs should be OK. Will the 24x sensor work on 5V? Watching the videos they say it is as easy as changing the ignition program to be 'custom' and then picking 24x/4x, however no discussion on 5V vs 12V. There's a mention of both 24x & 58x needing a minimum of 3V to work, so will a 24x sensor work with 5V? I also cannot just move the 5V wire (Pin A26 in 558-103) as it appears to have other 5V wires using it, so I'd have to run another wire from the plug to a 12V source (splice into Pin A10?). Cheers and thanks in advance. I'm sure there will be lots of questions to come! DP

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ents-Read-This (Initial Checks & Adjustments - Read Step #6!)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. I've read Step #6 about 20 times trying to get the answer. Noted that I can use the B20 pin for 12V, but as mentioned I was hoping the 24x sensor might have worked with the 5V as per one of the videos I saw said it would work with 3V minimum and never mentioned changing the wiring around, only the setting in the ECU. DP.

I only deal with how the Holley EFI main harnesses are wired.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Below is a copy & paste from the comments in the Holley video. https://youtu.be/OChfI5i2S3Y. There was not a reply about the cam sensors for a front mounted 1x & 4x being the same part #. But that shouldn't be an issue in your case. The sensors have a 3.5V threshold so the 5V is not a problem. And most do cut the alignment tang out of the crank sensor.

Chifen Parker
    2 months ago
    I have a running 58x 4x combo with the Holley LS 2 harness and a Dominator. I'm replacing the engine with a 24x 4x engine. Can I still use the 58x sensor and harness without modification to the harness. And configure the ignition to custom 24x 4x? I understand I'll need to check timing to reset the inductive delay and timing offset.

HolleyPerformance
    2 months ago
    Yes, you can use the 58X harness with the 24x engine but you will have to use the correct 24x sensor for your engine. You'll need to swap the connector on the 58x harness for one that will plug into your 24x sensor. Be sure to go into the software and select the custom tab under the ignition type, then select 24x crank and 4x cam. Thanks, J

Chifen Parker
    2 months ago
    @HolleyPerformance Thank You

HolleyPerformance
    2 months ago
    @Chifen Parker Your welcome, Also, if you are using a timing cover mounted 1X sensor on a 4X wheel you will need to swap the A and C pin in the connector.

Chifen Parker
    4 weeks ago
    @HolleyPerformance I only see one cam sensor for front mounted. Applications or 2005 Corvette and 2010 Silverado has same part# cam sensor.
    Last edited by BoostedCP; 09-13-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks Boosted. Looks like I'm good to go with a modification to the plug to allow it to clip into the 24x sensor and no wiring modifications. I'll make the Custom Ignition Parameters for 24x 4x and get ready to go. I'm sure I had read those comments on the video at one point. DP

UPDATE: I used the same cam sensor from my 4x on my 1x. No problems.