Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyers Remorse - Sniper EFI

If you'd like to eliminate the IAC valve as a problem, temporarily block off the IAC air inlet port with a strong piece of tape. Also, ensure both throttle shafts fully return to idle when this happens. And the TPS Position % too.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Quick Datalogger Information:
    Always provide data, not just symptoms. Is the AFR & ignition timing optimized? Overlay the datalog onto your Config File.
    Ensure the Target A/F Ratio table is properly programmed for your engine. Ensure the ECU is "Learning" (Learn Table LINK).
    Scroll through the datalog to the problem area. Then look exactly where this happens on the Base Fuel & Timing Tables. Scrutinize:
    RPM, MAP, MAT, TPS, CTS, IAC, Target AFR, AFR Left, CL Comp, Ignition Timing, Duty Cycle, Fuel Flow, Fuel Pressure & Battery.

Using the Holley Sniper EFI software (LINK), look at where the live cursor moves to during this occurrence, and
    manually tune that area of the Base Fuel Table (enrich or lean) & Base Timing Table (optimize ignition timing).

I find the most helpful datalog function, is overlaying the datalog on your Config File.
    I'm in the habit of using the datalog Overlay feature every time I review a datalog.
    Click on "Datalog" (on the top Toolbar), "Activate Overlay", then "Open Data Log".
    You can literally "playback" a recorded event, and watch it as it happened on any screen.
    Minimize (shrink) the datalog window, and move it to the bottom of any Config File screen.
    Then click & scroll anywhere on the datalog, and watch it playback on your Config File (EFI software).
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...9r10543rev.pdf (Holley EFI Datalogger Instructions)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...s-amp-Datalogs (Datalog Information - Read "NOTES")
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHO...C6FEA0BB99AF17 (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...7531#post77531 (Closed Loop Datalog Tuning - Posts #2, #4 & #6)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo2 View Post
    Just a few random thoughts on this. You haven't mentioned the make of vehicle, the age of the vehicle, or the type of engine where the Sniper is installed.

Will the engine restart once it cools down? What coil are you using? Coils are weird little guys and can operate perfectly and test good until they get hot.

You didn't mention at what temperature your cooling fan kicks on; does the shutdown event coincide with the cooling fan turn-on? Do you have the Sniper controlling the fan or are you using some other method like a toggle switch or stand-alone controller?

If the shutdown event is tied to the fan turn-on; is the alternator up to the task? Computers don't like huge voltage swings and even though you have the Sniper wired directly to the battery, a fault in the charging circuit could cause issues.
    To answer your questions: Car is a 1968 Impala, engine is a 496 stroker with a T56 manual transmission. I'm using a Holley dual sync with timing control, an MSD 6AL, and an MSD Blaster coil, and it will start back up after it cools down. The Sniper is controlling the fan; it turns on at 190°F and back off at 185°F. The fan was running when this happened. The alternator is a 140 amp CS Power Master. Everything under the hood is brand new. I'll have to try and get this to happen deliberately to get a datalog. It happened too quickly for me to react.

Can you post your Config File?
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    For further assistance, post your Config File and a short datalog of this occurrence for us to analyze.
    Also, review the datalog and inform us of exactly where in the datalog (time/seconds) the problem occurs.
    Datalog & Global Files can be linked to a document hosting website. I use Dropbox.com.
    Files can also be "zipped" (compressed zipped folder) & attached directly to a forum post ("Go Advanced" & "Attachments").
    Your Config File is in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Config Files" folder (.hefi file).
    Your Datalogs are in the "Documents", "Holley" folder, "Sniper" folder, "Data Log" folder (.dl file).
    Someone will analyze/troubleshoot the problem & offer advice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqHOtDNiTNA (How To Record & Email A Datalog)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll work on getting a datalog of the event and I'll post that and a Config File as soon as I can.

I make it a habit to datalog just about every time I drive my truck. Once I’m satisfied and consider it fully tuned, I won’t be as diligent. The supplied SD card can hold a lot of datalogs.

Drove it around my neighborhood in 1st gear with the electric fan relay removed. Coolant temp got up to 200°F, but no dice. Did not happen again. Will try again this evening.

Whenever I hear, it stalled when it was hot but when it cools down it will run again, I think of fuel delivery. Fuel pump could be getting too hot.

OK, it did it again when I stopped for gas. I left the car running and after a minute or so it started running choppy, etc., and stalled. Let it cool off for 10 minutes and it fired right up. I'm not sure how much good the datalog is going to do; the only data I captured was after it started acting up.

To the post above: The pump is mounted on a bracket just aft of the fuel tank. It's not enclosed or anything. I guess this could possibly be the reason, but would that explain the IAC going up to 30%? Config File and datalog attached. Thanks for any replies.

ETA: It will not let me attach either file - it says both .sniper and .DLZ file types are "invalid"? I need a beer.
    Last edited by 68WASAGOODYEAR; 09-22-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Did you have the fan relay reattached when you went for fuel? Did the stall coincide with the fan coming on; if so, you've found your culprit.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast