Thread: Holley Sniper with MSD 6AL box.

Default Holley Sniper with MSD 6AL box.

Hello All. I'm a newer member so this is my first post. Thank you adding me. I have an '85 Mustang with 306 SBF. Chose to go EFI over carb. So I’ve seen some posts about this, but I'm looking for a more definitive answer. I have Holley Sniper EFI, Holley HyperSpark Distributor and coil. Also have a MSD 6AL box from my original setup. What is the benefit of running the MSD box if the Sniper is controlling ignition timing? It drives the HyperSpark coil, but would it make more sense to use the Holley coil driver instead? I just don’t understand how my MSD box is actually doing anything now.

I always recommend using a CD ignition box with distributor type ignition systems. Here's why: LINK.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" Dart SBF, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the reassurance. I actually read that post, but still second guessed myself. I'll keep it inline then.

And personally, I'd trust the new HyperSpark 556-151 or MSD 6201/62013 Digital 6A CDI box more than the Holley Coil Driver Module (LINK).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" Dart SBF, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'd run the 6AL over the coil driver. If you have an old non-Digital 6AL, just be careful of how you route the wires. My 6BTM was causing weird interference. I ended up getting the HyperSpark box and if solved that. It also produced a hotter spark. The Digital boxes are much better then the old Analog ones.

I'm a newbie to old school ignition (coming from the LS world). How do you know what's an analog box versus a digital? I have a 6AL from ~2004 that has a physical pill for redline. Is that an analog? Why are the digital boxes much better? Thanks, Jason

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...rcuitry-means/ (Ignition Basics: Analog vs. Digital Circuitry and What it Means)