Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Danny Cabral can you help with vacuum signal?

Default Danny Cabral can you help with vacuum signal?

I have your instructions from this site and I'm using the sensor you recommend. Please reply when you can. We’re crunching for a dyno day tomorrow and we leave for Drag Week on Saturday. Thank you, Frank

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...6659#post96659 (My Crankcase Vacuum Sensor Details)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Danny, I’ve read your instructions. Can the kPa to inches of vacuum conversion be done in the Digital Dash (dash screen) or is it done with the laptop connected to the dash? I’m in the car now. Thanks.

This is a stand-alone Digital Dash, not EFI.
    Last edited by 738drvr; 09-06-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 738drvr View Post
    Danny, I’ve read your instructions.
    But you didn't comprehend them.

Can the kPa to inches of vacuum conversion be done in the Digital Dash (dash screen)...
    Yes. I specifically wrote how to program the Digital Dash to display it in vacuum inHg. It's the last sentence in the last paragraph.

...or is it done with the laptop connected to the dash? I’m in the car now.
    No, the programming is not performed with a laptop.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I simply don’t know where to look at the ICF to put in the multiplier for the vacuum signal. The sensor was pinned to B10. Type is Custom 5V. Dash shows 2 for vacuum press. They hooked a TPS sensor up to the sensor and it works. I simply need to understand where the multiplier goes. Can you direct me to the specific place in your instructions so that I can read them again? This is all new to me. Sorry, I didn’t install the Digital Dash, but it looks like I’m going to have to figure out the vacuum signal. Thank you for your help.

I simply don’t know where to look at the ICF to put in the multiplier for the vacuum signal.
    It's not in an ICF using a laptop.

I simply need to understand where the multiplier goes.
    It's in the Digital Dash programming itself - Customize Gauge, Math Multiplier, Channel Math screen.
    See top of page 16 and center of page 26: https://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley EFI 553-106 Digital Dash Instruction Manual)

Can you direct me to the specific place in your instructions so that I can read them again?
    I did in post #4 above. Here's a copy & paste from that original LINK:

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    I programmed my Holley EFI 553-106 Digital Dash to display it as vacuum - inHg (inches of mercury).
    To convert kPa to inHg (vacuum gauge) on the Digital Dash (Customize Gauge/Math Multiplier/Channel Math):
    x^2 Term (a) 0
    Multiplier (b) 0.2961
    Offset (c) −29.61

OK, now the gauge shows -29 on gauge with engine not running. Is this correct? I thought it would show 0.

No. Key-on/engine-off, it should display −0.4, depending on your barometric pressure/elevation.
    I use an AEM 30-2130-30 2 bar stainless steel MAP sensor as my crankcase vacuum sensor.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Use conversion factor of .2953/29.53 @ 32°F or .2961/29.61 @ 60°F air temperature.
    Convert MAP kPa to inHg (vacuum gauge): MAP kPa x .2961 − 29.61 = inHg Vacuum Gauge

Convert MAP kPa to psig (gauge): MAP kPa x .145 − 14.5 (slightly above sea level) = PSIG
    Convert MAP kPa to psia (absolute with atmosphere): MAP kPa x .145 = PSIA

With PSIG, negative numbers are vacuum, and positive numbers are pressure.
    With PSIA, all numbers are positive. The Holley EFI software uses kPa & PSIG.

The Holley EFI software uses kPa or PSIG (not PSIA). Here's an excellent pressure conversion calculator:
    http://www.calculator.org/property.aspx?name=pressure (Enter kPa at left, and select psig or psia at right.)

I’m using your exact sensor. We’re checking continuity on the wires now to ensure proper pin placement.

It seems like the Digital Dash programming is wrong. See my framed quote in post #6 above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast