Thread: Terminator X vs Gen VII 8.1L.

Default Terminator X vs Gen VII 8.1L.

I have a Gen VII 8.1L that I'm going to be swapping into an older truck with manual transmission, and I'd like to use the Terminator X to control it. I plan on converting the engine to a cable drive throttle body setup as well.

From all the information I can find this engine uses very similar crank & cam sensors to the rest of the LSx family. But upon calling Holley tech today, all they could tell me was that it would not work. When I asked why, their only response was that Holley had not unlocked the ability to control anything other than LSx engines. They then pointed me in the direction of their HP ECU. Can anyone shed some more light on why the Terminator X will not work with the 8.1L?

The Gen VII 8.1L generates 24x/1x crank/cam signals that are compatible with the GM LS1 PCM. The Terminator X will likely accept the 8.1L 24x/1x signals. However, there may be an Inductive Delay difference between the LS1 crank sensor and the 8.1L crank sensor. It's a very safe answer for technical support to give because the 8.1L is not their target audience. I wouldn't hesitate to install a Terminator X on an 8.1L engine.

For what it's worth, I developed a SBC 58x/4x conversion for my SBC TPI engine and I'm using a Terminator X Max ECU. I have more than 100 miles on this with no driveability issues. I chose the Gen IV GM LS crank/cam signal Ignition Type. I suspect there may be a minor Inductive Delay difference between the Gen IV LS crank sensor and the 2007 4.3L crank sensor I'm using. If I want to play with the Inductive Delay, I can choose Custom Ignition Parameters settings and dial it in.

Last edited by eficonnection; 09-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
    Mike Noonan | Owner
    EFI Connection, LLC
    814-566-0946
    www.eficonnection.com

AND....here's our popular 24x/1x LT1 crank/cam signal conversion running just fine with a Terminator X ECU.

Mike Noonan | Owner
    EFI Connection, LLC
    814-566-0946
    www.eficonnection.com

Yep, the Inductive Delay is fully adjustable in the Custom Ignition Parameters screen of the EFI software. Mike, thanks for your great posts!
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Great answers. I really appreciate all of your input!