Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DBW, TPS & Idle

Default DBW, TPS & Idle

I'm running a 6.1L Hemi on a Dominator EFI system with a stock DBW pedal. The engine is stock from a 2008 Challenger. I had the car running fairly well up until yesterday. I was tuning the engine (Base Timing Table, Base Fuel Table & Cranking Fuel). I uploaded the new tune and after I did a TPS Autoset, the engine won't idle below 2500 RPM. I went back to the old tune prior to making the changes mentioned above, and there was no change. The engine won't idle below 2500 RPM. I was running V5 build 110. So I tried going back to V4, but that didn't correct the issue. I have no vacuum leaks. I've tried many TPS Autosets as well, all which were successful, but the engine won't idle below 2500 RPM. I also noticed the ECU isn't going into Learn after it gets to temp. It was Learning fine before. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jgmccrac View Post
    I uploaded the new tune and after I did a TPS Autoset, the engine won't idle below 2500 RPM.
    Why did you have to do a TPS Autoset after changing the Global File tune?

I have no vacuum leaks. I've tried many TPS Autosets as well, all which were successful, but the engine won't idle below 2500 RPM.
    Does the ECU have control of the Drive-By-Wire throttle body?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Honestly, the remote tuner I used instructed me to do the TPS Autoset. I did run the tune before the TPS Autoset and it seemed to run fine. Yes, with key on, I can move the pedal and the TPS % moves from 0 - 100. With the engine running, I can press the pedal and the RPM will increase, but it won't idle down below 2500 RPM.

I'm the remote tuner he's referring to. We're sure that the air is coming through the TB and nowhere else, because if we block off the TB we can kill the engine. After the TPS Autoset and cycling the key, the TPS% is at 3% which is close to normal when the engine is off, because of IAC Parked. Because we went back to V4, I had to build a new tune from scratch and of course a TPS Autoset is required. Blanking numbers are high enough to not be he reason it's not going into Learn. When we tried the other Chrysler TB type it reacts the same. The Pedal vs Throttle table is set to zero at the bottom. Something is holding that throttle open or keeping it from closing.

Default Throttle Body "Limp Home" Position

I think my throttle body is in the "Limp Home" position. It's a Dodge 6.1 Hemi throttle body. Does anyone know how to reset the throttle body & DBW? After a TPS Autoset, my engine won't idle below 2500 RPM. After reading the DBW install instructions, I noticed the section on "Limp Home", which seems to be my issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture+_2019-08-31-08-04-41.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	8650  

Try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.

EFI Software Problems:
    Often times, when EFI software related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted software download/installation.
    I suggest completely removing the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the
    "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder) and install a fresh EFI software download. Save your Global Folder somewhere.
    ECU Firmware Problems:
    Conversely, often times, when actual ECU related functions don't work properly, it's caused by a corrupted ECU firmware installation.
    As a last resort, you can try reflashing the ECU firmware version (LINK). The ECU firmware is in with the software download (LINK).
    Also, try completely disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. This "resets" some unusual ECU issues.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Last Friday I had a DBW throttle body that would not totally close after a TPS Autoset. It wasn't a Gen3 HEMI, but it had similar symptoms. My fix was to start the TPS Autoset and push the plates closed when his foot was off the throttle. Then go full throttle and then back to zero and again pushing the plates closed. In other words, pushing the plates closed when his foot was off the throttle. It worked.

Just an FYI: I never do a TPS Autoset from inside the vehicle; I always do it by manually moving the throttle body in the engine compartment (Drive-By-Cable).

If you manually move the throttle body to do the TPS Autoset, does someone have to be in the car to move the pedal as well?

No, only the throttle body lever needs to move. It's calibrating the TPS sensor, not the accelerator pedal.

EDIT: I just remembered this is a Drive-By-Wire forum thread. So perform the TPS Autoset from the driver's seat for this application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast