Thread: '68 Camaro - 502 with Holley Sniper quit running.

Question '68 Camaro - 502 with Holley Sniper quit running.

Hi from Yuma AZ. I have a 1968 Camaro with a 502, Holley Sniper, MSD Digital 6A Ignition, Bosch 17025 WBO2 sensor, HEI Distributor. The car was running fine and I went to start it the other morning and it ran about 5 minutes and died. It would not start again. It did once backfire through the intake. I've checked the MSD, plugs & wires, fuel pressure. I noticed on some datalogs that the AFR was jumping around and going over 30. I do not have any exhaust leaks at all. I also noticed that sometimes the WBO2 sensor was heating, but other time it was not. I have attached a datalog and Config File, so if anyone could give it a look and maybe some input I'd be truly grateful. Thanks.
    DataConfig.zip

Could the distributor have spun a little, throwing the timing off?

The distributor is tight, can't even budge it. The car has started a few times since the initial problem, but runs only 1 to 3 minutes and the dies like it's flooding out with fuel. After it dies, I looked into the Sniper and the intake manifold has some fuel puddled up in it, not a lot but enough that you can see it.

Have someone toggle the key so you can look down and see if an injector is stuck open.

Checked and no, there's no injector stuck open.

Build a new tune using the Wizard. Only takes a minute and it sometime solves weird problems. If that doesn't solve it, then take some datalogs and study them for clues.

I did reflash the ECU and used the Wizard and it still has the same problem. I have a new Bosch 17025 WBO2 sensor coming in on Wednesday, so I hope that corrects it.

Well, I found the problem. It was a weak coil. Installed an MSD HEI coil and it started running good as new. I learned if there's a problem maybe I shouldn't assume it's the Sniper from the start. Oh well, live & learn.

No sweat. I thought mine got all jacked up, and it turns out I had a plug boot melt on the header and it caused a misfire (face palm). And sweet ride! I have a '68 with a bored 454.