Thread: MSD Ignition Trouble

Default MSD Ignition Trouble

First time poster here, any advice is appreciated! 1970 Mustang with 351W, MSD 6AL Ignition Box, Pro-Billet Distributor #8478 (locked out), Blaster 2 coil and Sniper EFI controlling the timing. Everything WAS running great until one night the car just falls on its face pulling out of my parking spot. Got it restarted, halfway home it dies again, sadly had to leave it overnight and get it towed home the next morning ($100 and my pride was lost). Sniper was getting fuel, but no spark to any of the plugs, so I replaced the magnetic pickup in the distributor, STILL no spark. So I began testing:
    1) Pulled my coil wire off my distributor and put a spark plug in it. I can ground out my white points wire and get a spark to that plug!
    2) I can use a paperclip to arch across the green/purple connection from the 6AL box and get spark to the plug in the coil wire!
    3) When I try to just turn the key and get spark to the plug in the coil wire, I get nothing.

I traced all my wires and found that my alternator was bad, so I replaced it, but sadly still no spark. It's the typical 65 amp alternator that these cars came with stock. Since I'm running more electronics and the electric fuel pump, is a bigger amperage alternator the answer? TIA

In my opinion, an EFI conversion alone warrants a modern style, higher amp alternator.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Is 100 amps enough? 140? This is the alternator I've been considering: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-7078nj

Ford applications should use a Ford 3G alternator. There's no better alternator for a Ford.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'll probably be ordering this then: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tff-7771. Thank you Danny!

You're welcome. Yep, that's the model alternator any self-respecting Mustang owner installs.

UPDATE! Found this nice kit and plan on purchasing it soon, to keep all my stock gauges working, and ensure I have all the proper wiring: https://lmr.com/item/SVE-17046K4/Mus...LBiR9PWjNeFBM0

That external voltage regulator type conversion kit is unnecessarily expensive in my opinion. On my '78 Ford Bronco 3G alternator conversion, I wanted to eliminate the OEM external voltage regulator.