Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PWM Electric Fan Control (Again)

With any of these measurements, you really should be asking the question in Watts, not Amps. Amps changes with Voltage: the same 100 Watt bulb draws 8.7 Amps @ 11.5 Volts, but only 7.1 Amps @ 14 Volts, which is the difference between a low battery and having the alternator working hard.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    SPAL has their own programmable fan controller, but I'm not sure I like it and the instructions aren't very good: http://www.spal-usa.com/fans/automat...es/fanpwm.html (SPAL FAN-PWM Controller) However, their electric cooling fans are the best in the industry.
    That kinda looks like the Derale one that takes a temperature input, not a PWM input.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    With any of these measurements, you really should be asking the question in Watts, not Amps. Amps changes with Voltage: the same 100 Watt bulb draws 8.7 Amps @ 11.5 Volts, but only 7.1 Amps @ 14 Volts, which is the difference between a low battery and having the alternator working hard.
    Understood. But I don't have a Watts meter and it doesn't explain the discrepancy we're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by racindego View Post
    The solution I found, the MCP233: https://www.basicmicro.com/MCP233-Du...ller_p_39.html
    You can read the specs, but this is basically a DC motor controller that accepts a PWM+ input (among other input possibilities) and can handle 60 amps or 2 x 30 amps. Perfect for two fans. It's made for robotics and people who have some level of electronics and robotics experience, which is NOT me, but I was still able to get through it with some help from the guy at Basic Motion, who is extremely knowledgeable & helpful. This module is fully programmable with the free software and has way more capability than what I'm using it for, but I have it up & running and it's flawless.

So there you have it. A compact, high amperage, readily available, and easy to wire fan controller for $200.
    PS: There are cheaper versions of this same idea available, but they have their disadvantages, IMO. They are usually just circuit boards, not a potted, enclosed module like we'd want for an underhood environment, and they also don't have the same level of tech support. If you're adventurous though, you can probably do what I did for a lot less money.
    I'm using a C6 controller and fan on my C3 an they work perfectly with the HP ECU. I'll be using another controller for a Davies Craig EWP. This controller is designed for an automotive environment and connect directly to the HP ECU.

I'm looking for a controller for the fuel pump. I can't use the C6 because the have a soft start and don't respond as fast as it's needed for fuel control. How are you controlling this unit with Holley's ECU? I see they're rated for 5V logic control voltage. Are you using PWM or pulse duration (as in RC servo)? Regards.

It accepts a very wide range of input voltage. Simply pin the Holley PWM+ into the unit. No issues.

For what it's worth, the new SPAL brushless fans have a built-in controller. Check out the C7 fan. It's rated at 600 watts and SPAL offer the mating connector for it for about $25. It just needs 8 AWG ground & power and a small PWM- signal wire. If I was to do this again, I'd be looking at doing this. The C7 fan is about $200. The programming is similar, but needs 100 Hz instead of the 128 Hz that the C6 controller needs. Andrew
    IG @projectgattago

Andrewb70, that seems like a really great setup. That's probably the route I'd go also if the shroud was workable.

Side note: The controller I used can accept multiple inputs and the 2 outputs do not need to be linked to each other or the same input. In other words, you could potentially use 1 output channel to control a fuel pump and the other for an electric fan. Assuming you don't exceed 30 amps per channel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12