Thread: Very Slow Datalog Download

Default Very Slow Datalog Download

Hello. We're using the datalog function after every run with our race car. Unfortunately, the datalog download is extremely slow (~5 minutes or even more). Is there any way to speed this up or a different way to download it from the ECU? We're using the USB cable connected to the Dominator ECU.

I agree it shouldn't take that long. What kind of laptop are you using, and does it have a 3.0 high speed USB port? Also, how long is the datalog and what's the Logging Rate (FPS).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

We tried different ones, old & new. All had a 3.0 high speed USB port.

What's your Max Log Time set for?

I don't know what we set the Log Time to, but the file size is about 4MB. Using a standard USB port instead of the 3.0 port should be quick enough. But it seems like the Holley ECU port itself is so slow?!

One thing that helped me was to go to Toolbox, select Preferences, and check the "Automatically Open Log Files". Obviously doesn't make it faster, but does allow me to notice when it's finished, much better than standing there watching it. I go about my routine and can tell that the datalog opened much better than having to go up to it and check the popup window. I've recommended that Holley add a (DOWNLOAD AND OPEN LATEST DATALOG IN ECU) button to the popup window "CHOOSE OPENING OPTION", that comes up when the EFI software first opens. Maybe if they hear it from enough people, it will happen.

Holley needs to look at the other datalogging programs out there and incorporate some of the useful items.
    In the Auto Meter (STACK) system, I can choose the recording rate of every single data channel.
    I can also select which channels I want to record, so I can keep datalog files manageable in size (less than 1MB).
    It also has a high speed CAN connection to offload and erase a three minute run data file in about 30 seconds.
    I don't find recording every channel at the same rate and creating huge files with lots of zeros useful especially in late rounds.

Try to make the datalogs shorter. Disconnect anything else from USB and turn off WiFi. Disable Windows Updates.