Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Alternator Install - Engine Flooding

So as a quick test, I tossed my old alternator back in (it was working good previously, just low voltage with both fans on), and it's actually still having the same issue. I removed the alternator power wire which worked last time, and it idles, but the AFR readings are jumping around 9-36. I shoved my Shop Vac (on blow) into the exhaust and checked for leaks around WBO2 sensor, but nothing found. Now I'm kinda wondering if my issue actually isn't alternator related. I've attached an updated datalog of the engine idling (alternator unplugged): Sniper_0030.zip

UPDATE: Found another post for a similar issue and said the CL Comp value was jumping with the AFR reading, so it needs to retune itself. My CL Comp value is matching the erratic AFR reading as well. I'll probably let it get into Learning for a while tomorrow so it's running OK without the alternator and I have a good baseline again. I have the old alternator installed just to re-verify that it runs normal with the old one again before retrying the new alternator.
    Last edited by jmillermo; 07-24-2019 at 08:08 PM.

After reinstalling the old alternator and putting everything back to the way it was when it ran normally, it's still having issues. This morning I let it tune for a while and everything seemed really good. AFR was sitting right around target at idle and in gear. I had to work for a while after that, so I came out later after it had cooled down and it won't idle at all now. I did just notice the IAC with the engine off sitting at 45%, so I started looking into that. Taped off the IAC and finally got the engine to idle at around 1300. It was then that I noticed ONE of the jets spraying WAY more than the others, so I'm not sure if that's expected or not. Is it normal for one single jet to be spraying considerably more than the others?

Quote Originally Posted by jmillermo View Post
    It was then that I noticed ONE of the jets spraying WAY more than the others, so I'm not sure if that's expected or not. Is it normal for one single jet to be spraying considerably more than the others?
    No, that sounds like a stuck injector. If so, contact Holley Tech Service (LINK).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny. I spoke with Holley this morning and will be shipping it to them for repair today.

You're welcome.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Shipped back to Holley, they had it for a few days and got it back. They said they found a loose connector, but replaced the injector anyways just in case and it tested good. Got it installed this afternoon and it's doing the same thing. Called Holley to see what they wanted me to do next, and they're just going to send me a brand new throttle body to replace this one. Down for several more days, but I'm glad they were willing to send a new unit.

Did you have to pay shipping twice to send two units back? I was very pleased with Holley service, but more that a little irked to pay shipping to send back a factory defect (my first unit was bad). If you insure the thing for what it's worth, the shipping is quite expensive.
    69 Camaro
    400 SBC, ProCharger D1SC

I paid the first time, not sure about this second time yet. It sounded like they were going to give me a label to use to send it back on their dime. We'll see.

Got the new throttle body installed and runs great now using the new alternator. Also, they gave me a shipping label to send back the old one, so I didn't have to pay for the return on that one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12