Thread: How long until a replacement for the HP comes along?

Default How long until a replacement for the HP comes along?

I currently have an Accel Gen 7 on a SBC that's Turbocharged. Manual transmission, old school, no Traction Control. I'm looking for a replacement ECM and having another stand-alone harness made. So I'm shopping for a new ECM and if I go Holley, the HP is most likely what I'd use. First off, I'm still a little ticked off that MSD bought out Accel and then Holley bought out MSD and when they did, they threw away all the vital parts needed to keep the Gen 7 alive, which put me in the predicament that I'm in now having an extinct FI system! And to make it worse, I'm going make it more profitable for them doing what they did buy buying a new system. OK moving forward. Since I really don't want this same thing to happen again any time in the near future, I'm a bit concerned at how long the HP ECM has been out and how much longer it will be serviced? Is there anything coming along to replace it soon? My main reason for going Holley is that I consider them to be the safest bet on not getting bought out by somebody else and shutdown. (Kinda ironic isn't it.) And I also really like having a large customer base and a Forum like this one to solve problems. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Gun View Post
    I'm a bit concerned at how long the HP ECM has been out and how much longer it will be serviced? Is there anything coming along to replace it soon?
    No, Holley EFI is here to stay.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Gun View Post
    OK moving forward. Since I really don't want this same thing to happen again any time in the near future, I'm a bit concerned at how long the HP ECM has been out and how much longer it will be serviced? Is there anything coming along to replace it soon?
    The performance industry will always evolve and replace obsolete systems. If we all had that mind set, you wouldn't see 10,000 HP Dragsters or 1000 HP daily driven street cars. If you want a system that will always be around, buy a carb.

Thanks for the Heads Up. No, I won't be going back to a carburetor any time soon. I dealt with that for 25 years on this same car. A carburetor is nothing but a controlled fuel leak, and a blow through carburetor on a turbo engine is nothing but a fuel leak out of control! I realize that my original question is pretty similar to "when is the best time to buy a laptop" In the 1990s & 2000s, tech was jumping by leaps & bounds, but things have leveled out since. I thought that if anybody had heard rumors of replacement it would be here. However, there are more choices today for EFI ECUs and software than ever, I'd think the Holley stuff is here for the long haul.

The hardware in the HP & Dominator is very capable. Multiple fast processors, lots of input & output configurations, wideband control, low impedance injector drivers, among other things. It is very future proof. Even if Holley dropped support for updates there would be no issue for years I bet. I would certainly rest easy in buying one. It's funny you mention Accel DFI Gen 7 because it has some features that I wish Holley had. It is still a very capable unit.