Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to alter RPM & MAP

My question is why do you have any 15.3 boxes at all? That is too lean for pretty much any situation.

If you're just getting it up & running, keep things simple. You have too many different Target AFR settings in my opinion. Look at the Holley base calibrations. They basically use a total of three Target AFRs. 13.5 for idle. 14 for any RPM above 2500, but below WOT and then 12.5 for WOT. They do add a transition column and row, but you don't need that. Keep it simple until you get the basics like you want them. Then after that you can start tweaking. Right now you have almost 10 different AFR sections.

I think the attempt to idle the engine at 1100 is probably causing you problems as well. The engine probably needs/wants to idle lower, but I guess that takes us back to the voltage issue from the other thread. With EFI everything is interrelated.
    Last edited by gregs69rs; 07-20-2019 at 07:08 PM.

Because the Closed Loop is not turned off and the engine likes that setting. It's not the actual AFR because the overlap causes the WBO2 sensor to throw a false lean. I have 99° of overlap 50° at .050" lifter rise. If you hooked a tailpipe sniffer up, it's probably 13.5 AFR.

My battery has a full charge 12.6 volts is a fully charged 12 volt battery. Battery or charging system voltage drops with heat 13.5 volts is more than a brand new car has at operating temp.
    Last edited by Mad Cadder; 07-20-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs69rs View Post
    My question is why do you have any 15.3 boxes at all? That is too lean for pretty much any situation.
    No, I run 16:1 AFR at cruise.

You have too many different Target AFR settings in my opinion. Look at the Holley base calibrations. They basically use a total of three Target AFRs.
    I guess you wouldn't like my Target Air/Fuel Ratio table either.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I guess you wouldn't like my Target Air/Fuel Ratio table either.
    LOL. Your AFR table is fine for you...an expert with EFI that has been tuning on EFI systems for years and years. My point to the OP is when you're first starting out (which is how 90% of the people who post on this forum are), start simple and with the basics. I'd bet a lot of money that your current AFR table is not the same as the one you started with for your first ever EFI implementation years ago. I assume that you started simple. Got a good base tune working and gradually worked your way to more complex tuning over time to get you to the table you have today.

You're correct, and I stand behind my Target Air/Fuel Ratio table.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

It says 15, but it's not 15, it's being fooled by overlap. No, I don't run that, at cruise it's 13.8! My vacuum is 80-85 at idle, it goes to 70 at 2500 and GOES up with increased TPS. That's how big cams work. What's your Target AFR map?

Danny, I never disparaged your AFR table nor made any reference to it at all, such that you would need to "stand by" it. I've never seen it. I'm sure it's fantastic.

I understand, there's no problem at all. My EFI tables have been posted here for years: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)

Greg69rs:
    Yes I did. I was looking for alternative ways of dealing with the overlap false lean. The cam has 267°/273° @.050" on 110° LSA. It's also a hydraulic roller, so it's equal to another 15°-18° in a cam with lash. I've been driving & altering the Target map, it's been changed many times.

Dan:
    Thanks for the link. If I turned off the Learn at idle RPM the 14.2 in your Target map would be close. I'll try it that way, but it definitely will not like the 16 at cruise. 12.6 is right about where I think WOT would be best to start. So I actually agree with your Target map, I'll cut down the number of AFR values. Should I go to simple.
    Last edited by Mad Cadder; 07-22-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cadder View Post
    Dan: Thanks for the link. If I turned off the Learn at idle RPM...
    Disable Closed Loop below a certain RPM (Closed Loop Parameters), which also disables Learning. Read post #11 of 2nd link below for more info.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ension-Harness (Read 2nd paragraph under "Wideband O2 Sensor Notes".)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7370#post47370 (Closed Loop & Learn Table - Especially posts #2, #6 & #11.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast