Thread: New Install

Default New Install

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I have a '32 Ford hot rod. It has a 383 stroker with a 700R4 and a Ford 9 inch. I recently ordered a Sniper 4150 and Holley Dual Sync Distributor. The unit is almost installed and I hope to start it for the first time tomorrow. I'll post my experience. And advice is welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_152807.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	8463 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171202_155156.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	8464
    Last edited by paulw; 07-16-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Very cool. Good luck.

My advice is to read and follow the instructions. Many of the problems reported on this forum are user error. The Sniper is a digital device, so it requires very careful attention to the wiring. Most hot rodders are old school analog guys who don't understand digital wiring. The instructions tell you what to do, but unfortunately, they don't do a very good job of explaining why the wiring is so important.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread...FI-Information (Sniper EFI Technical Information)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks guys. I'm old school and decided to have a mechanic that has installed over 50 of these working on it. I told him I was concerned about a lot of negative posts about the Sniper, but he tells me the most issues people are having are do to incorrect installs.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Great info there Danny!

Thank you Danny. That's a TON of info. I know what I will be doing tonight!

AMEN to the post above about being REALLY diligent about the wiring information and do's & don'ts to avoid interference. I read that section and thought I was doing a good job of following the rules, but looking at my system with a much more critical eye now, I'm seeing some really dumb mistakes. It would've been much, much smarter to spend an extra two hours to obsess on the details at the beginning of the process, than to spend the countless hours I have trying to sort out the bugs after the fact.

You're welcome guys.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well it's done and I drove it about 50 miles for the first time yesterday, here are a few thoughts. It starts way faster, it idles lower and better although it doesn't seem to have the same power and lope it used to. On acceleration, it feels like it has lost some power. Although if I stand on it, she comes to life, once I'm at cruising speed it's really smooth, but several times on deceleration it backfired/popped. After reading other reports, I don't think I'll make any changes just yet, I think I'll drive it like I stole it and let the Sniper Learn.