Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiring with MSD 6 series box and Painless Harness.

Quote Originally Posted by jfj85 View Post
    I will be controlling timing with the Sniper. MSD Pro Billet distributor with a 6AL box.
    Not a good idea. Sell the MSD distributor and get a HyperSpark distributor. Save yourself the grief now.

Sounds rather troubling. Can I keep the MSD 6AL box with the HyperSpark distributor? I asked Holley Tech a month or so ago because I considered switching. They said yes, but didn't sound very confident.

I also have a Super Sniper 1250 on my '69 Camaro albeit with a stock wiring harness. After trial, error and rewiring it here is where I ended. I tap into the IGN post in the fuse box to trigger a relay. The relay has the three system trigger wires (ECU, distributor & CD Box) stacked on the same relay. The relay gets its primary power directly from the battery. That cleaned up the EMI issues I had. At first I tried to connect the ECU, distributor & CD box trigger wires directly to the IGN post like the Holley videos show and that did not work well. Tons of EMI

The Painless wiring harness may somehow make the power "cleaner" than from the factory harness, but if you want to do it once, use a relay. That way you have clean battery power for certain.

In terms of the Holley claim of "4 wire hookup", don't get hung up on that. That's a marketing line and is true, but only in certain configurations. For example, GM HEI ignition without a CD box and without ECU controlled timing.

Read the instructions carefully as there are different wiring options depending on your specific ignition system. If you wire it wrong you can fry the ECU.
    And while we are talking about wiring, be sure you have a dedicated ground cable directly from the battery to your engine block.

Thanks Greg. Are you running the HyperSpark distributor?

Yes. I wanted to have the least amount of room for installer error (me), so I bought the whole HyperSpark system. Very much plug & play. I didn't have a distributor that supported rotor phasing, so I needed a new one either way.

I ordered the HyperSpark distributor today. I'm hoping to reuse my MSD 6AL box & coil. I don't foresee any issue other than having to make the connections where the plugs don't match the Sniper harness?

A little late to the thread, I just added the complete HyperSpark ignition system. So can I buy one Mr. Gasket #40100G relay and hookup the distributor, CD box and the original Sniper pink wire all to the one relay. And does anyone have a diagram? I'm running a Painless Wiring harness also. Cheers, Ray

Yes, that's what I did and I've had no issues. I wouldn't add anything else to the relay however.

Pin #30 is power supply from your battery, #85 is to ground, #86 is your switched power from your vehicle (I used the pink "coil +" wire from my Painless harness), #87 will be your distributor, CD box and pink Sniper wire. I believe that relay has a 5th constant power pin (#87A), which will not be used for this purpose. It's normally closed and will have constant power from the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jfj85 View Post
    I ordered the HyperSpark distributor today. I'm hoping to reuse my MSD 6AL box & coil. I don't foresee any issue other than having to make the connections where the plugs don't match the Sniper harness?
    I'm doing the same setup, and have it about half finished. (I decided to upgrade to an XFlow so I am waiting on my new unit to arrive.) See page #9, I think, for a wiring diagram for your setup. https://documents.holley.com/frm34727_6415.pdf

Thanks for the replies guys. Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12